1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best Content Management Software?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by amedno1, Oct 5, 2006.

Ok so I checked in my new hosting account and they have these CMS

Drupal
    Geeklog
    Joomla
    Mambo Open Source
    PHP-Nuke
    phpWCMS
    phpWebSite
    Post-Nuke
    Siteframe
    TYPO3
    Xoops

My plan is to build a site where I can post articles and these will be categorized and in each category I wanna create 10-20 articles then I also want to create a section where members have to create an account in order to access and in there there will be loads of ebooks and later on I wanna install a shopping cart so they can buy a printed copy of an ebook.

I wanna be able to place adsense on the article section.

So what CMS do you recommend and why?

Ive been to all the sites for the CMS I listed above and so far

Xoops
    Mambo
    Joomla
    Drupal

look good but I need first hand experience, I see a lot of talk about Joomla and feel the most inclined to use it, but I don't know if it's capable of what I posted above
    Thanks

amedno1, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  2. webbriefcase

webbriefcase Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with Joomla. I've used it for my membership site where I have
    articles and tutorials and also a download section. You can also divide access
    to free members and pay members.

So, for your articles section, for example, you could have it only accessible
    by free or paid members ie. those who registered (as opposed to the general
    public).

I've never tried a shopping cart with Joomla but I've made my downloads
    area available for paid members only. If that's okay for you. Maybe, someone
    else can shed some light on this part.

~Bina.

webbriefcase, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  3. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla's shopping cart options are many, you just can't go wrong with Joomla.

Go for it.

EJRaven, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  4. amedno1

amedno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks webbriefcase and EJRaven so I'l go with what I anticipated from the beginning Joomla, thanks a lot

amedno1, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  5. tihomir

tihomir Peon

Best Answers:
    i like joomla / mambo

there are lots of extensions / mods / themes

use what suit your site content

good luck

tihomir, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  6. drno

drno Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also go with Joomla. I also suggest you install one of the available SEF components to make the URLs search engine friendly.

drno, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  7. maxx

maxx Peon

Best Answers:
    I think both are very capable of handling what you need. I would have to say that Joomla is a much more straightforward system and has a larger base to draw from in terms of community, add-ons and a collection of excellent themes from top notch professional developers. That being said Joomla does have some limitations worth mentioning.

Joomla does not have the best access control (it is planned for a future release). If you plan on having various groups of users having access to different areas seek another solution or wait for a future version of Joomla. (A workaround for this could be to create sub-domains with separate Joomla installs and allow only selected users to those areas but the user synchronization will undoubtedly become painful).

Sections and Categories – Joomla does a great job of allowing you to organize your site easily, quickly and effectively but it only allows categories to be part of sections. That is not a problem for most people but if you are looking for categories with subcategories and so on Joomla is not the answer. (Another workaround: Actually, depending on how you set your site up you may be able to do multiple categories with mosets mtree. It is one of the best directories out there and will allow for very deep categorization.) Drupal offers books and their category method is confusing at first but extremely flexible.

I have created some Joomla video tutorials that demonstrate some of the things you should consider when creating your sections and categories in Joomla, installing templates, using OpenSEF, so on. They may help you make a decision. Check them out at http://www.dezinedepot.com/joomla/joomla-tutorials and http://joomlaphile.com/joomla-tutorials/.

Drupal kicks butt too but if you can do it with Joomla your life may be easier. The current dupal release (4.7.3) does not have an “easy” method (in comparison to Joomla) to install the CMS or install new modules. If you consider yourself computer savvy then none of that may be a problem. Drupal has an access control system that is more granular that Joomla’s.

maxx, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  8. doga

doga Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go for joomla i used it for many sites and it has good support and many modules

doga, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  9. sudn3sc3d

sudn3sc3d Active Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion, try Nucleus CMS. Joomla is way to complex and it might turn out to be difficult to use for you.

sudn3sc3d, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  10. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is the best opinion IMO..
    It's very easy to use and it's one of the most popular CMS's.
    As they will release Joomla! 1.5 Beta soon,I highly recommend this CMS.

Richie_Ni, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  11. dasklney

dasklney Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Joomla is best with a lot of extension and template!

dasklney, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  12. psychotronic

psychotronic Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with joomla ... they have a such a large helpfull community ..
    You can use virtuemart to sell your downloadable stuff

psychotronic, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  13. speedwagon

speedwagon Peon

Best Answers:
    TYPO3 if you can handle it ;)

speedwagon, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  14. xdk67

xdk67 Peon

Best Answers:
    Best software for me doesn't mean that it should be also for you. You have to see what suites your needs more and then decide. All the scripts mentioned above are good. Test some localy and see which one is the right one for you. There are cases that i have used joomla (my favourite one) but there were also some cases that xoops was my only solution. Write down your needs, make a list of the pros and cons of each one and then decide. Because if you choose one and start your website it won't be nice if you find out later on, that another one was actually better.

xdk67, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  15. mothproof

mothproof Banned

Best Answers:
    geeklog.

suits me fine. :) but ofcourse, as xdk67 here pointed out, we all dictate what's the best cms for us,

just like love i guess. aaww

mothproof, Oct 10, 2006 IP