1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What kind of business license is needed to sell advice?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by VU365, Apr 20, 2010.

Hi folks,

I am in the process of starting a business where I plan on selling email newsletters and mp3 downloads. My focus will be on giving out advice to men in the area of dating, relationships, and career.

In these areas, I have no formal credentials, but I have already amassed a pretty big following amongst people on various websites where I post article under a fictitious name. My plan is to sell "how-to" information products as this popular, fictitious character. And eventually, I will try to branch out into motivational and inspirational speaking.

My question is:

1. As I pursue the possibility of getting a business license, what type of business license category would this type of business fall under? Would this be considered life coaching, information seller, some kind of home-based business-------or what???

Thanks in advance for whatever input you wish to provide.

VU365

VU365, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  2. justin.helloall

justin.helloall Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with
    information seller

Of course i license is not needed to sell a coaching service, just take a look at the buy sell trade section and see how many coaches are actually licensed.

justin.helloall, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  3. VU365

VU365 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm...Information Seller.

I'll look into that. I'll also check out that buy, sell, trade section as you advised.

Thanks Justin.

VU365

VU365, Apr 20, 2010 IP
  4. HowWhoWhen

HowWhoWhen Peon

Best Answers:
    Also decide if you will be selling any physical products as well as licensing could be different depending on the state you're in. I'm assuming you're in the states.

HowWhoWhen, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  5. VU365

VU365 Peon

Best Answers:

Yep.

I'm here in the states. So far, all I'm planning on doing is selling internet email subscriptions, electronic documents, and audio file downloads. But I suppose the day will come when I may sell informational CD Roms. so I guess it'd be wise to check on the legalities involved in that.

Thanks for your input HowWhoWhen.

VU365, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  6. lilly0721

lilly0721 Peon

Best Answers:
    VU365 - check out your competition in your niche. For example
    the hottest product in the dating niche right now is probably
    "The Magic Of Making Up." The site owner is not licensed
    but people buy that product in droves...

Just scope out your competition, that will give you an idea
    of where to start.

lilly0721, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I woldn't have thought you'd need any particular licence to start a business but one thing I would advise you to get is "professional indemnity" insurance to protect you. Giving "advice" can be a minefield. What you advise may not work for everyone and if they are the litigious sort you may find yourself being pursued for giving the wrong or misleading advice. I know our business insurance (not the statutory ones) is quite clear about us giving professional "advice" and what the limitations of that is.

RonBrown, Apr 23, 2010 IP