1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What LCD Monitor do you recommend for graphics.

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by eclipsemedia, Mar 21, 2009.

Hey Everyone,

Since the dawn of my graphic career, I've been faithful to using CRT monitors. Currently I have a 19" CRT.

However I need more space as we are now into 1024x768 website designs and I'm tired of scrolling side to side and I find the icons way to tiny if I raise the resolution higher the 1200 wide.

I bought an HP L2445w 24" LCD Monitor yesterday from Staples. At the store it looked nice and vibrant from the other (dull color) LCDs. When I hooked it up, even at the proper resolution I found the image to
    1) Be fuzzy lookiing
    2) Way to much contrast and saturation
    3) It had a gradient effect. Top of the screen was just a tint darker then the bottom, however it makes it impossible to get an accurate color when in photoshop.

I tried lowering the contrast and brighness, played with the sharpen and other features to try to get it right and even though I was able to make the text smoother and fixed the contrast. The whole screen still had a "gradient" look.

So i returned it to Staples, and started looking at the other models. Well most has a dull (typical LCD) screen. Except for a few with BrightView technology that make it appear like an flatscreen CRT.

But what amazed to me was , they ALL had that same Gradient effect. I would open MS Paint, make it full screen and draw an orange square every sales rep there stared in awe when they could clearly see that the orange was brighter toward the top and darker at the bottom.

Soooooo Does anyone here use a 20" to 24" LCD without any of these issues. I seem to resort back to my trusty old CRT and I really want to let go. Thanks

eclipsemedia, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    What you're describing here is true to some degree, yes, LCD changes colours based on angles, and some are better than others, but having a totally flat screen with digital colour calibration - there are a lot less variables than a CRT ever could have.

CRT's have distortion because of the shape, that LCD doesn't have.

I could never go back!

innovati, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  3. Maya_16

Maya_16 Peon

Best Answers:
    you need high good resolution supporting Graphic card ,
    Graphic card is more important for a good picture quality ,

the monitor you hold is very good , try to check you graphic card on the motherboard

Maya_16, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  4. eclipsemedia

eclipsemedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree innovati. What model LCD do you use.
    I'm looking into an EIZO 24" LCD. Doing some research and it's apparently the answer to many other large graphic companies.

As far as a graphic card, I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400. with excellent software for calibration. However the LCD i bought and the ones I saw at Staples looking dead on, still show a gradient.

I did see a huge 24" Sony flatscreen trinitron CRT on the web. hahhaha The things huge. Thanks for the feedback and look forward for more.

eclipsemedia, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  5. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got an iMac, so whatever stock screen Apple uses. I personally love the glossy screen, because matte finishes distort colour by washing it out.

On matte screen, the reason it isn't glossy is because the surface is uneven, like sandpaper. The tiny bumps catch the light, and other sides of the bumps are facing away from the light. This way, you get a scattered reflection that isn't glaring, but it washes the luminosity of the colour by up to 40%. In theory in a totally dark room, Glossy and Matte finished screens would look the same, but ignore what salespeople and gamers tell you - for working with colour Glossy is best (if you can find it)

Gamers tend to like matte, because reflections are annoying, but colour isn't essential in a game and that's a sacrifice they are willing to make.

innovati, Mar 22, 2009 IP