1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What platform/CMS is best to use for a niche information site?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Wrighteq, Aug 31, 2007.

Hi all. I am looking to build a large information site with at least a few hundred articles about 5-6 diverse topics. The site will be about finance and investing. I also want a forum component. Also on the main page I would like some sort of blog component where I can post the newest updates and articles. Now I have limited knowledge in HTML/CSS/PHP. I am asking for advice on what CMS or software will let me launch such a site and maintain it with as little pain as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Wrighteq, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  2. RSS Master

RSS Master Peon

Best Answers:
    I do a similar thing and do it all with Wordpress which wioll accomplish all you ask easily. If you want to have a look at a sample of what yopu can accomplish go to bloggingempires.com

Quentin

RSS Master, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  3. domainpubber

domainpubber Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try Joomla - I have a site like what you describe and have found Joomla to be a great CMS. Wordpress will also work fine if all you need is to blog.

domainpubber, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  4. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    .. I didnt know that Wordpress could do forums .. ?

Anyway, i do pretty much exactly what you describe with Drupal.. it's pretty easy, very powerful and expandable, and most importantly, VERY SEO friendly when used as directed..

Tearabite, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  5. Trusttec

Trusttec Peon

Best Answers:
    Trusttec, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  6. netstratics

netstratics Peon

Best Answers:
    You can also check out ExpressionEngine. It is paid software but there are advantages. The forum module was built by the EE developers and integrates perfectly into the rest of the CMS. EE is very powerful and I have found it to be the easiest system to build a site with. There is also a dedicated support team to answer your questions in the forums.

netstratics, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  7. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've put together a demo of using wordpress as a CMS:

http://www.simplywordpresscms.com

I've left the theme based on standard Kubrick so you know that it's WP - just with some modifications.

blade007, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  8. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WP and Joomla both are good option but Joomla can be better for a bigger site not having blogging look! you will have to give it some time to get used to Joomla but once you are gone through thats amazing

ravianz, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  9. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess you are referring to my site that I quickly knocked up. You only have to look at the dudes blogging empires to see one that's been customised to fit inside a normal website template, if you could see that far.

blade007, Sep 9, 2007 IP