1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what script does hi5 and myspace use?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by JoshWoods, May 16, 2007.

does anyone know?

JoshWoods, May 16, 2007 IP
  2. kookaboorra

kookaboorra Peon

Best Answers:
    kookaboorra, May 16, 2007 IP
  3. BinderGang

BinderGang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They use custom scripts, obviously.

Any script that looks like MySpace or Hi5 is CLONING them. They aren't using a script others can buy.

BinderGang, May 17, 2007 IP
  4. JoshWoods

JoshWoods Peon

Best Answers:
    How much would a custom script cost do you know where i can get one made

JoshWoods, May 17, 2007 IP
  5. Felu

Felu Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on what features you want it it. You can post projects in freelancing sites like ScriptLance and let freelancers bid on it.

Felu, May 17, 2007 IP
  6. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its definately not phpfox, what they use is totally custom, if it was some script everyone would own one myspace.

forumrating, May 17, 2007 IP
  7. reyotech

reyotech Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL

I'm 101% sure, that its custom, and they didnt pick them up on a website for $300

reyotech, May 17, 2007 IP
  8. BinderGang

BinderGang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It varies on who you get to do it or how much you want.

If you're looking for a custom script to be made that runs like MySpace or Hi5...I hope you have ALOT of money or a credit card with an $xxx.xxx limit.

BinderGang, May 17, 2007 IP
  9. Simon Gooffin

Simon Gooffin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    of course it's custom.. I'm pretty sure they have their own developers group that works on their site and adds new functionality.

Simon Gooffin, May 17, 2007 IP
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi5 is actually a really decent site, function wise it blows Myspace out of the water, especially since it's so Web 2.0.

Pixelrage, May 18, 2007 IP
  11. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone,

I'm glad to announce that my team has been developing a high quality Web 2.0 MySpace and hi5 script that will be sold to webmasters much like phpFox, but out difference will be the quality of our software, think of a Facebook script for webmasters.

Its name is phpRaven.

It includes all the features of Facebook, myspace, hi5, and other social networks.

Some of the main features include:
    • Fully customizable (CSS)
    • MySpace Layout Function (Where members can use their own layouts)
    • Fully Integrated Video Uploading Function
    • Full Integration with vBulleting, IPB, SMF, among others
    • phpFox, Handshakes database transfer tool.
    • High Quality Layouts
    • and much more!

It will be finished in 3 months, a beta version should be available soon.

Investors are wanted... please email me at

EJRaven, May 18, 2007 IP
  12. poet

poet Peon

Best Answers:
    MySpace was written in PHP from scratch by Tom, the guy who gets added as your friend when you make a new profile. The site is now owned by News Corp (Ruport Murdoch bought it for $350 million or so), but Tom still works to maintain the site, I believe.

However, most developers, even inexperienced ones, will tell you that MySpace's code and layout are garbage (as a programmer, I agree). The site could easily have been coded by a PHP novice. It just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Now it's starting to use some AJAX, but so many other sites like hi5 (like EJ mentioned above) or Facebook are so much more advanced. Facebook is far superior and is quality work. This is coming from a professional programmer's point of view.

In a couple of months, the site will probably be totally transformed due to competition from other sites, specifically Facebook (which is VERY well done).

PHPFox doesn't look so good IMO. It's too new and from what I saw (very little), it looks too immature to use for anything professional right now.

Something like MySpace can be coded quite easily using a framework such as Ruby on Rails. If you want such a design, you can outsource this to some group or individual in India to do it for cheap on those FindACoder or freelance websites. It shouldn't be too expensive.

poet, May 18, 2007 IP
  13. ChrisX

ChrisX Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Here is what I am looking for, and you sound like someone that might be able to offer a constructive opinion.

I'm not looking to take on myspace, lol. I'm building a health related website, using Joomla as a CMS, with approximately 1000 pages of content to start. I absolutely love the thing, mostly because it just suits my needs, almost completely. EXCEPT for its social network capability. All they have is this Community Builder garbage, which looks like something a kid wrote 10 years ago.

I have been looking at PHPFox. Why? Because it hooks up to vBulletin. Now, I don't necessarily want to use vb, but vb integrates with both Joomla and PHPFox. So that solves my issues with credentials.

Handshakes will also integrate with vb, but not quite as well. However, I've read slightly better things about Handshakes, and it seems to run a bit more smooth.

Above all, there is no way on this green earth I am using Drupal, not happening. Out of the current CMS's, I think Joomla has what I need.

My questions are......

1. Which of those two configs would you use?

2. Do you know of a CMS that has the capabilities of Joomla (Front/Back end article submission, timed publishing, add-ons, support, etc.), and that also has a decent SN capability that is COMPARABLE to MySpace? It's not that I love them so much, I want users to be somewhat familiar with the functionality.

3. Do you have another combination in mind?

Thank You,

Chris

ChrisX, Jun 8, 2007 IP