1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do when the client asks for fonts

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by freebanner, Jan 17, 2009.

So you have completed a design job, and the client asks for the psd, no problem you think, you send it, and the client asks for the fonts used. (even tho the psd does not need them for output)

What do you do? It is illegal to just send someone copyright fonts. Some fonts cost $50+ do you just hand them over?

freebanner, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  2. newyears1978

newyears1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    I havn't studied this, sure a google search would find results..but I assume you cannot hand out fonts that you have purchased. The only reason they would want them is if they are going to change the layout..or just liked the font and wanted it.

I don't think you legally can do it..but I guess it depends on the liscence and terms of the font?

newyears1978, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  3. Jimthewriter

Jimthewriter Guest

Best Answers:
    I would definitely not send the fonts.

Think about it this way. Would you send them over a copy of Photoshop to edit the graphic? Probably not, right? So what's the difference for the font...

You paid for it, it is probably protected by intellectual property rights, etc...

Jimthewriter, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  4. thebambam

thebambam Peon

Best Answers:
    Id just let them know that the fonts used are not free and should he wish to use them he/she must pay for them or change the font or ofcourse get you to do it.

thebambam, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  5. GMArsenal

GMArsenal Guest

Best Answers:
    Some font suppliers directly cover issues like this in their terms of purchase. Depending on where you purchased the font, you should check the terms regarding the purchase. Some will allow you to re-distribute the font to a client (not many, but some).

A majority however consider it just as illegal as downloading cracked programs.

The proper process I believe would be the following:

1) Check the terms of purchase dealing with said fonts to see if it is restricted or not.

2) If it is restricted, POLITELY inform the party requesting them of the agreement you have to abide by, then direct them to the proper place to purchase the font themselves.

Just a side note. Some will offer to pay you to give them the fonts. DO NOT accept payment and provide them with the font. This is illegal in most situations! If they want the font and are professional, they will happily understand and go purchase the font at the appropriate provider.

GMArsenal, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  6. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Each font is licensed differently, I have many fonts which are freely redistributable, but the chances are you're probably dealing with a commercial font.

As previously mentioned, some fonts or specifically some licenses for fonts allow this sort of sharing, but typically not.

All you can be required to do for the client is supply them with the names of the fonts used.

Remember, the reason they HIRED you is because you have the tools for the job which they don't have. If you give them those tools, they will not come back to you.

Think of yourself like a carpenter, you bought the Photoshop saw, and the Font lumber. If your client wanted wood from you would you give it to them, or make them hire you for repairs?

innovati, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  7. Lessman

Lessman Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah depends on the font. If its free, give it to them. If it isn't tell them that they need to purchase it themselves.

Even better, tell them that the fonts are licensed and you can not send them, but tell them that for much less than the price of buying a font suite they can hire you to make any adjustments to the document.

Lessman, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  8. justcoolsam

justcoolsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should tell them that you have copywrite for that font. So you cant do this.
    Simple Lol.

justcoolsam, Jan 22, 2009 IP