1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's wrong with the market?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ftws, Nov 4, 2014.

There happened to be a time when i received at least 3 lowball bids per month on my domains.. Today it's like the whole market does not exist anymore, and I just wasted another $25 for premium membership.. it's frightening.

ftws, Nov 4, 2014 IP
  2. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you could always work on gaining likes as that will save you monthly membership fees?

My last sale (site + domain) was so bad, I still feel dirty....

You should see flippa, I have a really good premium domain there for over a week, still at $1 starting bid.

matt_62, Nov 4, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that domain name speculation is a dying business. This is from the perspective of a high tech sales/marketing executive who regularly gets involved with start ups. When we come up with a potential name for the business, I begin searching for available domains. If they are taken, I move on. No need, in my opinion, to get that perfect domain name any more. 10 years ago, I felt much differently and would consider buying an owned domain name.

jrbiz, Nov 4, 2014 IP
  4. rlymike

rlymike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, exactly. With the businesses I've started and the domains I've registered, whether a domain is available is heavily factored into the name choice. If a domain is not available, I try a different business name.

rlymike, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, most people simply move on, hell sometimes if I am making a site, I will make an honest offer for a domain for what it is worth and if we cant agree, I just move on, but we are not really talking about big business in this case. I honestly think if there is a optimal business name that costs a fraction more then a default name, its better to grab that one. Look at facebook, would they have really been as successful had they stayed with been called "thefacebook"

On this issue, I was behind some vehicle that had a URL on the back of it, clearly everything good was taken, the name they had was so long and obscure, its going to be an uphill battle for marketing that domain, and for them getting a better name could improve their ROI for marketing. Honestly, that domain choice was so poor, it would have been more effective had it been written in russian.

On the flipside, some of the final prices of domains on flippa are really strange, well above what you would expect to be normal. Flippa had some "average" domain go for over $100k recently, and if you check out this list: https://flippa.com/just-sold
    you find stacks of useless domains, (and websites) most of them sold for ridiculous amounts... (or well above what most of us would consider to be a normal sale point), meanwhile, I am watching my own auction sitting at around $42 below the registration price.... doesnt make sense.

matt_62, Nov 6, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Having looked at your listings, It's probably because you ask totally unrealistic prices for what you are trying to sell and people struggle to take you seriously, I know I do.

malky66, Nov 7, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. ftws

ftws Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    malky66, i waited so much for your reply in here.. i made a bet with myself.
    And please tell your avatar to take his ritalin as prescribed

ftws, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  8. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No problem, glad I could oblige...don't forget to pay yourself, it's probably the only money you'll ever make.
    Can't really tell my avatar anything because....it's an avatar:)

malky66, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IWouldRatherHavethis.com than to pay $50 ForThis.com especially now knowing that This.blah and That.hello are available and becoming acceptable.

.com's are still very valuable. But we are now in an age where we believe ANYTHING.com (not literally the domain) is worth someones life savings...and people are smarter now.

If you can find a domain name and register it for $7.99 then you just found out that 2-3 other people passed on that domain fwith the $1 godaddy coupon.

I have a 12 year domain name that l believe is worth something...but who am I kidding it's probably worth ten bucks.

NetStar, Nov 7, 2014 IP