1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When to buy computer glasses?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Edd Parker, Jun 15, 2023.

I am a late-thirties male, near-sighted.

I recently visited the optometrist for an exam and a new prescription for my glasses.

I only just found out about the concept of "computer glasses". By "computer glasses", I mean those with a customized prescription, tailored to the wearer, for looking at things within the typical distance range of working at a desk. I do not mean glasses that are intended to filter out blue light.

This concept appeals to me because I am a software developer and work all day at my desk and have read a lot of small text. However, I am not sure if (or when) I should buy computer prescription safety glasses. This is because, although I need a new prescription to see things more clearly, I don't experience headaches or eye strain that I am aware of. Also, I do not have trouble reading things that are very close to me (like books) without my glasses (no presbyopia issues).

So should I start off by just getting one pair of glasses with my latest prescription and try to use those glasses for all of my tasks (looking at things far and close)? Should I wait and see if I have trouble with computer work with this single pair, and only then investigate "computer glasses" if I experience headaches/eye strain/unclear vision?

As a near-sighted person, would use my "regular prescription" (i.e. glasses for seeing far away) be "overkill" for desk work? i.e. would I be using "too much correction" for desk work and would this weaken my eyesight or weaken it more rapidly? Should I be using a "weaker" prescription for close work?

Any advice would be appreciated

My prescription is:

- OD [Sph: -3.00], [Add + 0.75]

- OS [Sph: -1.75], [Cyl -1.00], [Axe 168] [Add +0.75]

Edd Parker, Jun 15, 2023 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    in my country they're called "occupational glasses" but I think the term "computer glasses" is probably more accurate. I found it annoying initially to switch between normal progressives and my occupationals but you get used to it and the glasses are so much better that it's worth the effort and expense.

FWIW if you're only just finding out about these now then you haven't been having regular checkups - those checkups are essential!

sarahk, Jun 15, 2023 IP
  3. Vaasiliy

Vaasiliy Peon

Best Answers:
    can you work more time with it or is it just easier on the eyes?

Vaasiliy, Jun 21, 2023 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Probably more time, but definitely more efficiently if you can see easily. Fewer tension headaches.

sarahk, Jun 21, 2023 IP
  5. MargoFarrel

MargoFarrel Member

Best Answers:
    Since I was starting to work with computers - I was using a "computer glasses". It really saves my eyes, lower tension headaches, make my working day quite better. You should use it definitely

MargoFarrel, Jun 22, 2023 IP
  6. Vaasiliy

Vaasiliy Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks

Vaasiliy, Jun 27, 2023 IP
  7. carroli

carroli Peon

Best Answers:
    As a near-sighted individual, it's generally recommended to have a separate pair of glasses for close work, such as computer use or reading, especially if you spend a significant amount of time at a desk. While you may not currently experience headaches or eye strain, having dedicated computer glasses can still provide benefits in terms of visual comfort and reducing eye fatigue in the long run. My brother has this problem, so I advise you not to play with such things

carroli, Jul 1, 2023 IP
  8. thesaunderschild

thesaunderschild Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using concave lenses for near work can apparently worsen one's myopia.

thesaunderschild, Aug 18, 2023 IP