1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where is Wiki Software Discussed

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by richrf, Aug 11, 2007.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone any experience with Wiki software for commercial use? I haven't seen this software discussed anywhere. I am just beginning my evaluations and due diligence, and if anyone has any links, I would really appreciate it.

Rich

richrf, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Rich, I'd imagine that this is the best forum to talk about it.

The problems with wikis right now is that Mediawiki is still the "best", but it is a nightmare to customize and it is all features, no "looks". There are other wiki clones (see that open source CMS website, I forgot what it's called) and they are all equally atrocious looking.

Personally, I'm waiting for a new version of MediaWiki with a beautiful GUI, skinning options, and modules (kind of like Wordpress Widgets) but I have a feeling that is never going to happen, at least not from the MW dev team...

Pixelrage, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  3. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your comments. It seems to be a very specialized content management category at this time. Have you, or anyone else, had a chance to look at Confluence. I would be willing to pay, if it is a very stable, customizable platform.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

richrf, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I know of Confluence but have never used it. I think they offer a 30 day demo, or something to that effect?

I might be the wrong person to talk to about wikis, because I am extremely hardcore about good looking websites (10 years of graphic design exp.) and I can't pay serious attention to a site that's all text or looks like it's 10 years in the past.

Pixelrage, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll continue to look around and search for info. Have a great weekend!

Rich

richrf, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  6. emagin

emagin Peon

Best Answers:
    Was hoping to revive this thread to see if there is interest in wikis out there.
    I have seen and worked with a lot of wikis.
    Tikiwiki, Twiddliwiki, PBwiki, Mediawiki, Confluence, SocialText

For enterprise (or NPO free) I think Confluence is very very powerful and very good. It's a touch geeky to administer, but can be made to look very nice and usable.
    Most importantly it can integrate with the desktop via webdav and other tools.

Let me know if have any thoughts, I want to learn more about wikis from you!

emagin, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  7. pixeladd

pixeladd Banned

Best Answers:
    I have just starting using a wiki at thedpindex and find it quite fiddly

much prefer blogs or article directories

im using mediawiki which does seem the best out there

pixeladd, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  8. cmstester

cmstester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Take a look at DekiWiki. I played with it and it's quite good.

cmstester, Jun 23, 2008 IP
    Pixelrage likes this.