1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS or CMF for publishing?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Boss_Numbat, Sep 24, 2006.

Hi, just new here :). Newbie question: If you were looking for a CMS or CMF to create a publishing portal (articles, books, kits and forum) - needs to meet WAI compliance.

Which CMS or CMF would or do you use?

Thanks for the help.

Boss_Numbat, Sep 24, 2006 IP
  2. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi. I think Mambo/Joomla should be the best CMS to use for a portal. You can do a lot of customizations and it has a lot of added modules and functionalities that you can use for your portal.

rosiee007, Sep 24, 2006 IP
  3. nikg

nikg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Joomla would do the job.

You can integrate Joomla+SMF (or VB/IPB) so that members can use a single login. There are so many more addons and an a active community in case u ever need some help.

I am using it on a number of my domains, for example http://www.mortgages-finance.org , where i am going to add an SMF forum during the next few days.

If u need any help feel free to ask.

nikg, Sep 24, 2006 IP
  4. Graphixx

Graphixx Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree there to with Joomla. The integration with SMF is straight forward.
    the only thing is to think about is to pick the right theme for easy integration togheter.
    And with all the modules/components for Joomla you can create all the things you want:)

Graphixx, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  5. ayebiz

ayebiz Peon

Best Answers:
    We are migrating all custom make websites to Joomla + virtueMart and other add-on. It works really well and our clients love that.

ayebiz, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  6. golddragon

golddragon Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can try Joomla/mambo or postnuke/phpnuke

golddragon, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  7. Boss_Numbat

Boss_Numbat Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems everyone like Joomla, Mambo and Nuke with side ad-ons :) What do you think of Drupal, Plone (Zope) or SPIP? Anyone here using any of these at all?

I had a look at Typo3 (Open Source) and found it a tad of a learning curve once installed - so I have bucketed it for the moment.

Comments appreaticated - thanks

Boss_Numbat, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  8. dpfaces

dpfaces Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is good as it has a very active community and have lots of plugins, components and module available.

dpfaces, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  9. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Disclaimer: I haven't really looked at this in about a year. A lot changes in that time.

I'm going to [kind of] buck the trend here.

Joomla's great, but do some research/comparisons before you dedicate any time learning it. I did some comparison research a while back, and I decided it was useless because of all of its security holes. Until PHP fixes some of its basic problems, there's no way I'd use it for anything.

Plone, AFAICT, is probably the best free CMS. The downside is finding a host that can/will run it.

jimrthy, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  10. Boss_Numbat

Boss_Numbat Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to say Plone has made my shortlist, along with several others. I noticed that eBay Developers site is one using Plone (from Plone showcases) amongst others.

The hosting threads, I did notice in the forum and mentioned randomly on topics related to Zope and Plone :)

Can I ask how many folks have built there own CMS or CMF?

I am toying with the idea... is it worth the effort to build a custom suited to my particular and peculiar preferences and requirements OR bite the bullet and modify, bridge a couple of pre-existing systems with a cpl of custom modules.

I know that I have been doing a fair whack of comparison research with 'nada' on the solution I am seeking overall.

Boss_Numbat, Sep 30, 2006 IP