1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best Web Content Management system to use

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Investor1, Aug 13, 2008.

Well, the title says it all..

To build and maintain several sites.

Please tell me what experiences you have had with different kind of systems

Thanks
    'Kent

Investor1, Aug 13, 2008 IP
  2. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started with Postnuke then tried PHPNuke, PHPwebsite, Drupal, Wordpress, Mambo and a few others but have pretty much settled on Joomla for the last few years since it was born from Mambo.

Astroman, Aug 13, 2008 IP
  3. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've worked with Joomla, ModX, Website Baker, Wordpress( and a few others to a smaller extent) but at the end of the day I've settled on Drupal as the best of them (for me).

einsteinsboi, Aug 13, 2008 IP
  4. The Ussef

The Ussef Peon

Best Answers:
    I Used Joomla,Wordpress and datalife and i'll suggest to you datalife engine ...it's the prefered for me ^^ :)

The Ussef, Aug 13, 2008 IP
  5. UCDaZ

UCDaZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on what you're building.
    Drupal and Wordpress always comes up of course

UCDaZ, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  6. Design7

Design7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress is good for small sites but it is not a very powerful CMS.
    Drupal and joomla are much more powerful and do the trick for more dynamic sites.

Design7, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  7. Sunlust

Sunlust Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, their website looks shit and is full of ads, no thank you.

Sunlust, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  8. chunkychats

chunkychats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla all the way for me. There are so many great adons and the SEO factor is huge. From small to large you can make them look unique.

chunkychats, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  9. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what type of site you want and what type of plugins you want. Are you building a blog type site with articles, do you want a community and allow people to sign up, do you want a forum plugged into the site, do you want members to add their own reviews, comment and rate each other reviews and the list goes on and on...........

Do you want a real commercial grade site, how much support do you want and or need, are you looking for free solutions or do you want a commercial solution? If you want to buy a management system, how much money do you want to spend?

Here is a list of CMS's. Not all of the systems on the market are listed on this page. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems

Some of the popular free ones are drupal, joomla and wordpress. There are pros and cons to all of them.

If you are looking for a CMS that will plug into a forum, check this page it offers several bridges that will work with the simple machines forum (SMF) - http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?bridges

Before you just up and install a CMS, I suggest that you write down what kind of site you want to build and what will be the primary plug ins.

Do you want a forum? If so, which forum software do you want to use, then find a CMS that will plug into it.

Do you want a gallery? If so, find out which CMS has the best gallery solution.

Do you want a ratings and commenting system?

Then there are CMSs that are designed for a certain forum, such as http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/ Then you can just plug an arcade and gallery right into your site.

Subdreamer is one such CMS - http://www.subdreamer.com/ This is a commercial CMS that has lots of built in fetures. This CMS has a picture gallery solution and is supposed to plug straight into VB, IPB, phpbb and smf - http://www.subdreamer.com/features So you can have an instant community forum.

The most important questions and answers are:

What kind of site do you want to build
    Free or commercial solutions
    What plugins do you want

Once you have those questions and answers solved, then pick the CMS that will best fit what you need.

My personal opinion - Joomla is about the worst one you can go with. It is not very secure, their support forums are run by heavy handed admins and asking for support is more like begging for support. When you install joomla, you have to chmod just about every folder so its writable be everyone - which poses a security risk. The modifications by the joomla fans are not tested for security holes by the joomla core developers.

For my sites I went with wordpress and disabled new members from being able to register. Then I posted links to my forum where they can sign up and post stuff.

~kev~, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  10. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides being the best you need to look which has a future too.

phpNuke it was the king some time ago...now it's not anymore. Mambo is slipping down...CMSmadesimple is going also like phpWebsite.

The kings now are Drupal, Jomla and Wordpress (I'm talking about the open source and free ones).

Checkout this study: Who are the Open Source Content Management System (CMS) market leaders in 2008?

mg1313, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  11. KingKarl

KingKarl Peon

Best Answers:
    i prefer wordpress and joomla

http://opensourcecms.com/ is a very good site to check all opensource Content-Management-Systems

KingKarl, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  12. blazefire101

blazefire101 Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP in my view is the best..

blazefire101, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  13. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    for blogging try wordpress and for portal try drupal or mambo, joomla is easy but not for beginners.
    www.opensourcecms.com is a site where u can read about all cms available and u can try demo version.

Jalpari, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  14. tung148

tung148 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer Joomla

tung148, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  15. signorm68

signorm68 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my vote to joomla,definitly

signorm68, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  16. lisadragon

lisadragon Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice read and thanks ~kev~ for the comprehensive post.. i'm taking a look at subdreamer now

lisadragon, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  17. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your welcome.

In a lot of these forums you will get the typical rubber stamp, "joomla" or "wordpress" reply. With only two solutions being presented, no one can make an educated decision.

Some of the better CMS solutions are going to be commercial, but not always. But then again, it depends on what you are going to do. Some CMSs have good forum solutions, some have good gallery, some have good review solutions.

About 2 years ago I wanted to open a community site with a forum, gallery and articles. Most of the replies I got was "go with joomla." I later found out what a piece of junk, drama filled community, poorly run support forum joomla really has. After spending about 6 months building and maintaining a joomla community, I gave up. One of the main problems, joomla does not have quality forum solution. I had to use bridges that would break with either the forum or joomla was updated.

My site was based around a forum, with joomla being used to publish articles. I achieved my best results by dropping joomla and going with VBulletin for the forum.

:)

~kev~, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  18. uzair21

uzair21 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest Joomla.

uzair21, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  19. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Kev,
    Didn't you try vBlog for publishing articles (+ vBuleltin forum) ?
    After looking at many, I thought that's a decent solution. At least it won't break up in middle because both products are of same company.

I thought WordPress + vBulletin forum is also good solution, but it's unreliable because no one knows when the 3 rd party developer stops updating the bridge.

Do you have any other ideas on mind with your experience ?

I am looking for some solution that supports: Articles (Blog) + Forum + Gallery (possibly) + Reviews plugin (not necessary) + SEO + Can handle high traffic

Suri.CMS, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  20. Vampyre

Vampyre Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of the following setups myself:
    • Articles (Blog): ExpressionEngine
    • Forum: vBulletin
    • Bridge: aMember Pro (for vB and EE to share the same users database)
    • Gallery: Menalto's Gallery 2, or PhotoPost Pro (I'm inclined towards G2, if aMember can bridge this with vB.
      Awaiting response here: https://amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8496
    • Reviews: ReviewPost (not quite sure what features you have in mind for Reviews plugin though)
    • SEO: vBSEO

Vampyre, Sep 7, 2008 IP