1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the perfect CMS for my online journal/magazine?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by ragavpayne, Jun 6, 2011.

Hello,

I run an online journal called 'Stop Manufacturing Us!' Here's the link - www.stopmanufacturingus.com

Right now it is hosted on blogger on my own domain. The transition to a more professional CMS is inevitable since we're planning on a major renovation of the webiste.

Here's a list of things I want implemented in the new website:-

• The coding has to be light and fast
    • A discussion forum is a must. I'm definitely going for a vBulletin forum. I love their software.
    • Each person who registers at our website should have a control panel, profile, avatar, bio and a page where you can see the blogposts made by them and also their forum posts. I want the forum profiles and the CMS profiles to be integrated on a single page. All this is to make sure that they feel like they belong to a community and feel the need to spend more time on the site and contribute to and comment on one another.
    • Each person should be able to submit their own blogpost. Our editors should have the permission to go through the submitted content and proof read it, moderate it and edit it before publishing it. The published article should bear the name of he person who submitted it and also the person who edited it.
    • Archiving the articles based on multilpe attributes such as categories, date of publication, authors etc., should be possible.
    • On the home page, it should be possible to list articles based on the categories. I shouldn't be restricted to displaying content in only one small box. I should be able to display articles of different categories in different boxes since I'll have different sections for different kinds of articles.
    • Finally, the site admins must have a very user-friendly interface to manage the site, receive the submissions etc. The admins must be able to see the database of the registered members and see graphs based on different attributes of the members and stuff
    • I'm not a web designer and it should be easy for me to learn and implement the work necessary to make the site attractive and functional.

Sample designs:-

http://www.studentpulse.com/submissions - I like the design and also archiving of articles based on categories as implemented on this site. Can anyone tell me which CMS they might be using? I sent them an email about it but never got a response.

Can you please suggest which CMS would be best for implementing all of the above mentioned features?

Thanks!

ragavpayne, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  2. theitom

theitom Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used Joomla for a few sites, and having just taken a quick look at your list I think you will find a plug in for that functionality to go onto a joomla site. If you want to do a little more research take a look at the Joomla Extensions Directory and search for the various bits and pieces. Lots of the plugins there are also free, so will help to keep your costs down.

theitom, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  3. VinniBhai

VinniBhai Peon

Best Answers:
    Have been using Joomla and wordpress both but i guess wordpress is easy to use and friendly cms instead joomla.

VinniBhai, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  4. kajol

kajol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use wordpress with any magazine theme...

kajol, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  5. kxjakkk

kxjakkk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    ^agreed. WordPress with any magazine theme that's out there. WordPress also has tons of plugins that you can use for those things you need.

kxjakkk, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  6. ragavpayne

ragavpayne Peon

Best Answers:
    But would I have to pay for any of the services that wordpress offers? Like if I need a particular plugin that doesn't come with the basic ones, would I have to pay?

ragavpayne, Jun 9, 2011 IP