1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Open Source CMS do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by navi, Sep 11, 2008.

Which Open Source CMS do you recommend for small and mid sized business sites without any particular requirements?

Joomla is out of the question (code bloat and security issues).

Wordpress is tempting although I would prefer something not designed for blogging.

Needs to be php/mysql based.

There are so many Open Source systems out there. There is just not enough time to go through them all...

navi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    There seem to be this question every few days, my answer is to try the demo at http://opensourcecms.com/ choose the one you are most comfortable with.

wisdomtool, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  3. navi

navi Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the site you mention. As I said in my post, there are so MANY to try out so I am interested in other peoples personal experiences with the various tools out there.

navi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    One's man meat is another's poison, others experiences may not be suitable for you. Take for eg Joomla, it is in fact one of the most popular and I happen to like it very much. Frankly nothing beats trying out the software yourself rather than through word of mouth in such cases.

wisdomtool, Sep 11, 2008 IP
    010081 likes this.
  5. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For small sites Drupal may be overkill, but if you expect your site to grow and you want the scalability then by all means I totally recommend Drupal.

For small sites I have used Website Baker with success

einsteinsboi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  6. carl_in_florida

carl_in_florida Active Member

Best Answers:
    I almost always use wordpress now. There are so many great themes that don't even look like a blog.

carl_in_florida, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  7. navi

navi Peon

Best Answers:

Drupal seems very powerful, I have installed it and tried it, but as you say, for a small site that will not really grow, it seems like overkill.

Thanks for the other tip! What made you choose Website Baker in this jungle of open source CMSs?

navi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  8. navi

navi Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have a pretty neutral theme non-blog like theme that you start out with?

I don't mind modifying a theme completely (header, bg images, width, column widths etc) but I find it time saving to start with any theme.

Last time I created a non blog site using WP I ran into some problem that I couldn't find a plug in for. I am trying to remember... Something to do with pages and child pages. I think I was trying to create a way to have a page displaying excerpts from articles and just couldn't find a way to do this. Lots of posts requesting the same things in WP forums, but no solution. Does this sound familiar?

navi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  9. feryonline

feryonline Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe phpfusion is good...
    pgp-fusion.co.uk

feryonline, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  10. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I picked Website Baker I was very new to CMSs and had been handcoding my sites using HTML/CSS. I needed something more dynamic and website baker was pretty straightforward for me.

Now I have more experience and I prefer Drupal because I build bigger sites with heavier demands. For blogging I have always liked Wordpress although I use 2evolution also. I have also used Wordpress as a CMS, but I still much prefer Drupal.

These things end up being a matter of personal choice though. Like someone said it's like picking clothes or a pair of shoes. It's what works for you.

Good luck! :D

einsteinsboi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  11. cmstester

cmstester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cmstester, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  12. pensil2b

pensil2b Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla ....Drupal...Joomla...Drupal...Joomla VS Drupal..which one is better?...It's a simple question with no simple answer

pensil2b, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  13. navi

navi Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify: that wasn't the question at all.

I guess I need to rephrase:

Do you design/develop web sites for small/medium sized companies? If so, do you use an Open Source CMS solution? If so, which one and why?

navi, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  14. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see some companies use drupal for their sites. Its hard to make wordpress look like a site than a blog.

ichigo, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  15. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    drupal or joomla are better option,but as my personal view drupal is somewhat advance than joomla.

010081, Sep 14, 2008 IP