1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who will control search traffic in 1 year?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dominic, Feb 2, 2005.

?

Who will take majority of search traffic in 1 year?

1. Google

60.6%
  2. MSN

36.4%
  3. Yahoo

3.0%
  1. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    MSN will give google a run for its money either way. That competition should be good for all of us. We should have more customers coming from MSN and balancing it out some. just think if MSN, Yahoo, and google all gave you an equal amount of customers from a #1 spot on all three engines. Then if you lost that position on one engine you wouldn't be as affected as you would be now if you lost #1 on google.

MS is not dumb and they see $$$ form searches and with longhorn or bughorn or longbug that will help them (if they can keep the spyware out that redirects searches LOL.)

debunked, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  2. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I am no expert by any means, but IMHO I believe the only reason MS has so many security issues is because they are the # 1 OS for computers. If firefox or any other OS had the same market share as MS they would be under attack as well and having the same issues as MS.

I to believe that when google is knocked off the hilltop..no pun intended that it will be better for the consumer and the website owners. Google didnt get to where they are by being stupid, but MS has been thre for much longer than Google and has more financial power than google ever will. As I stated before the man with the money makes the rules, it may not be fair but that is the way life and business is.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If that is the case then IBM makes the rules in computing, they have sales of 90 Billion versus M$ 38 Billion.

anthonycea, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  4. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Its not just the amount of sales, its net profit. I know several real estate agents that grossed over 500k last year but only net 200k.

Bill Gates is reported to be the richest private individual in the World with a net worth of over 50 billion dollars and that is down from 100 billion. Steve Jobs of Apple has a net worth of 2.3 billion. IBM Ceo Samuel Palmisano doesnt even make the top 10 in Forbes for net worth.

IBM had a gross income of 96 billion dollars and a net income of 8.43 billion in 2004. MS had a 36.8 billion in sales and net 8.16 billion. Now from looking at those figures which company seems to be more sound and productive. As I mentioned Samuel Palmisano is not even in the top 10 in forbes for net worth and Bill Gates has lost 50 billion and is still ranked # 1 in forbes.

5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    sales vs. profits - who has the cash?

debunked, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Seems to me that 90 Billion in sales is a little more power than 36 Billion in sales.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/0118ibmq4.html

Plus IBM has much more power with the worlds largest companies and institutions than M$ will ever have.

They have the largest data centers that will provide on demand computing and are the worlds largest web hosting company. They also manufacture supercomputers and processors and Microsoft does not.

No one can compare with them in the computer services area and this is the hottest growing market in computing (data centers/grid computing/on demand computing) period.

Simply because Bill Gates owns the majority of stock in Microsoft does not mean that they are a greater force in computing now or down the road.

Microsoft is fading away man, you will see this light soon.

They will not be able to maintain their market capitalization nor grow it at the pace they have in the past. Microsoft stock has been cut in half in the last few years and is still overpriced.

anthonycea, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Cash available is determained by hard cost and IBM has a lot more hard cost than MS, so IMHO I would say MS is in a better financial postion.

8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'm not as worried as many on the Google front. After seeing earnings double, I am confident things are going to be just fine for some time to come. MS has their hand in alot of things. They will do well, but G has the largest captive audience I know of. Keep in mind that the two most popular browsers have search windows in the address field that point to G by default. "ok, I'm biased... You will want to know """ what two most popular browsers are you talking about??? """ Keep wondering, stats do not lie.. Firefox and Safari are on the rise and soon to blow IE away. Anyway, you use what works for you in the end.

Either way, I am a big Big BIG!!! Did I say B I G, MSN fan. Why? The traffic from them lately has been nothing but wonderful. I say more power to them and anyone out there.

Mia, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Just found this on the MSN Website :

We'll soon find out how serious they are going to advertise this.

T0PS3O, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  10. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have voted for myself, but unfortunately I wasn't included :D

Ohhhh this is gonna be exciting year in Search and no matter what, MSN is going to make a run for it! Hope they give G a nice run and maybe google will smell the coffee and get rid of this stupid sandbox!

In the mean time, searchers in my industry will see a nice difference between Google and MSN for my KW's. They'll find ME and MY sites :rolleyes:

That alone will make them love MSN (& Yahoo....lol)

hehehe...can you tell I am partial?

Cheers

gchaney, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  11. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to take a punt on msn, and say they will equal or beat google on search traffic within the year.

- marketing budget
    - speed of index
    - quality of search results (now adequate)

Dominic, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  12. craige

craige Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm betting on MSN as well. If MSN can continue with providing quality search results like they have been I am sure they can do better than Google. MSN is also quicker at indexing and picking up backlinks as well.

I have noticed alot of spam results in google and with this darn sandbox it just might hurt them in the long run.

craige, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  13. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    My bet is still on Google... I believe that it will be difficult for MSN to catch up within such short a span of time...

obenix, Feb 3, 2005 IP