1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Digg Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Val_Resnik, Jun 2, 2007.

So last week I simultaneously submitted a story on my blog to Digg, Reddit, and Stumble Upon.

Within a few hours of it being on Reddit, it was on the front page and remained on the front page for a couple days. I think I got a total of around 10,000 visitors form Reddit over a couple days.

Stumble Upon took a little longer to get started, but after one day, I was getting more traffic from SU than from Reddit, with a total of around 13,000 visitors from SU over a couple days. Even today, about a week later, I'm still getting several hundred visits a day from SU.

Digg was absolutely worthless. First of all, within about 1 day, only 30 people dugg the story. After SU and Reddit were sending me several thousand visitors, the Digg entry finally started to get attention. Finally after a couple days, the story got about 140 diggs and made it to the popular page. At that point the diggs started flooding in, at about 10 every 30 seconds. It was blowing up. I was ecstatic becase I thought I now had a shot at the Digg front page as well....

And then the story was immediately pulled down from the popular page and relegated to obscurity in some dark, lonely corner of Digg. The diggs then stopped.

Anyway, the lesson here is that a quality story will not necessarily get noticed on Digg, and then even after it does, the bury brigade, moderators or whoever bury the thing before it has a chance to take off.

I've heard before that Digg is not a democracy, but rather run by a small clique. I guess that's the case.

Val_Resnik, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  2. BlindCat

BlindCat Banned

Best Answers:
    I think its because in digg there is more competition. Why don't you share the story here which got you 10,000 visitors? I'd really like to read what the users in Digg has overlooked :)

BlindCat, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  3. Vizuke

Vizuke Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, more webmasters uses, or even know, Digg than Reddit or StumbleUpon. As BlindCat says, Digg obviously has more competition than Reddit or SU.

Vizuke, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  4. Val_Resnik

Val_Resnik Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's because of the competition. I'm not 100% clear on how digg works, but I think either a moderator removed my entry from the "popular" page or a bunch of people ganged up to bury it.

Either way, that burial/removal didn't reflect the Digg community's dislike the story. While the story was on the popular page for a couple minutes before it was removed, the diggs were flooding in at a very nice clip. Further, everyone seems to be eating up the story. I've been getting backlinks like crazy from all sorts of places, not to mention the huge success on SU and Reddit. So the huge success elsewhere combined with the temporary flood of diggs makes me think the story would have taken off on digg but for it being buried/removed.

As for the story itself, I'd rather not say. I'd like to be able to talk freely on here without having it link back to my site.

Val_Resnik, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  5. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Digg is all about luck and buying diggs ;)

zexy, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  6. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Much more luck needed at Digg and much more diggs... therefor much more visotors...

Makubwa, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  7. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    It is true that Digg is run by a small segment of the diggers...

aletheides, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  8. cherry_yuya

cherry_yuya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting on the front page of Reddit is much easier in my opinion than digg.

cherry_yuya, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  9. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All that junk traffic eats you bandwidth.... but the question to ask is did it make you any money?

BigBadWolf, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  10. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used Digg and StumbleUpon, how does Reddit work though? Do you need to rely on people "voting" for your pages? Or is it more organic, without much input needed?

Thanks. Matt

bad_bob00, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  11. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

Show me the money. You keep the pointless traffic.

I want clickers and buyers not lookeloos. :)

marketjunction, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  12. madkad

madkad Active Member

Best Answers:
    well as I havent used reggit or stuble and only used digg but also find it a joke as people just slag each other I am now going to test your feary and try all 3 out for my self, with this what I tried on digg the other day

http://digg.com/business_finance/30_Ways_to_Earn_Money_Online_Easy

and we will just see how it all goes :D I will come back and give my results if any one is intrested :)

madkad, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  13. manilodisan

manilodisan Peon

Best Answers:
    Last month I managed to make the fron page 3 weeks in a row on digg and I can tell you that it's a waste of time. It's better to focus on content that never dies rather than posting with digg in mind. I'm sick of the so called digg community formed by kids mostly.
    Not to mention that you don't convert at all, you also overload your server and you get with 100 stupid comments (that's all they do - post negative comments).

manilodisan, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  14. madkad

madkad Active Member

Best Answers:
    well so far I have not gotten anyware with the others and digg is still sending me the most traffic, it could be the page I have used, has any one got any thoughts on this, op?

madkad, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  15. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats why its better to hit about 100 or so social bookmarking sites each time since you never know which ones are gonna take to your article.

ninjashoes, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  16. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digg is controlled by too many closed minded people. I don't even know why they bothered trying to be anything but a Tech site. All those other categories ,with the exception of videos and even worse politics, hardly make it to the main page.

BamaStangGuy, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  17. ouromarketing

ouromarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    It is all true that traffic from Digg on the most stories is small and if large, then worthless.

I use Reddit regularly for far better results, with both stories hitting frontpage and those that don't make it there.

ouromarketing, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  18. Dantanas

Dantanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    digg is popular, but at the sametime competition is fierce on it....

Dantanas, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  19. caustictruths

caustictruths Peon

Best Answers:
    yes ebay bought stumble upon a few months. i just got an email from digg which i never did. maybe they are getting desparate as big money is behind SU. who knows?

caustictruths, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Val, if you would, please post your story here, or, post the link to it.

Thanks.

Perry Rose, Sep 21, 2007 IP