1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Google could not surive in Social networking Business?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by ournishani, Oct 8, 2010.

Google's Social networking product Orkut's viewership is decreasing tremendously. Initially it was prime attraction for Indians and brazilians, but now they too are switching too other options like Facebook.

So wat do you think the reason for its failure, while other "user generated data" websites of Google are extremely successful (Youtube and Blogger) .

I guess it could not be a good platform for internet marketers who can manipulate the success of products sometimes.

ournishani, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  2. meenu24

meenu24 Peon

Best Answers:
    i m agreed of u as u say it could not be a good platform for internet marketers...

meenu24, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  3. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google should just stick with search engine, google earth, igoogle and etc.

Justin_Dupre, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  4. dpkiller

dpkiller Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Because currently Google is not concentrating social networking area as well if
    it want to enter then There are many big players like Facebook to compete it :)

dpkiller, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  5. ournishani

ournishani Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google is concentrating on social marketing area, recently, it hired professionals and acquired few companies too.

Even Google Buzz could not make any impact.

ournishani, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  6. misshappy

misshappy Peon

Best Answers:
    didn't even know google has such a thing? they really need to just keep with their search engine...

misshappy, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  7. jahangir

jahangir Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the reason of Orkut's failure is that Google guys are basically "Engineers" and they don't care much about "social networks". They just want to play with their technical tools and find new techniques, invent something new, fix some issues..all technical things but when it comes to think as people who just want to chat with their friends I think they cannot do it.

jahangir, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  8. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    No one working for Google has any friends. Hence they couldn't get their heads round the concept of 'social networking'.

contentboss, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  9. bestinktoner

bestinktoner Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google is working hard to prove themselves in this area as well....

bestinktoner, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  10. rihana.crazy

rihana.crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is the leader in advertising online. It can better continue with its prospects in the same, than work out plans for the rest.

rihana.crazy, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  11. LearnEverything

LearnEverything Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think some of your comments nailed it earlier. But I would like to add the foundation of Google was literally based on science because Page and Brin were engineer science types. Zuckerberg was a programmer/coder who wanted to be social. So there you have it. Each entity will thrive in the niche they nourish because thats what they love.

LearnEverything, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  12. jurojin

jurojin Peon

Best Answers:
    Orkut doesn't have enough fun features to keep users busy.I am talking about games or other popular apps that every body is using on fb lately.

jurojin, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  13. harry.cooldude

harry.cooldude Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook is really cool. It hass got lot of apps, and many mobile phones have API for facebook. Google needs to come up with somethin innovative to stay in the race.

harry.cooldude, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  14. s4mudr4

s4mudr4 Peon

Best Answers:
    google must have innovative idea to get success in social network. and good is not enough. there are also lucky. hundreds of social network was born, some of it died and some social network just generate few user.

s4mudr4, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  15. Paul Okselenko

Paul Okselenko Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess that Orkut will be great when Google will work on that more. It's on beta stage right now, that's why it sucks. Google has money and money mean everything. If they want to make a really good competitor to facebook they will make hundreds of experiments to improve Orkut. If that won't work they will simply buy Facebook in future. They already bought YouTube and it's #1 video social network right now, they already making deal with Zynga, so they probably have something in their plans.

Paul Okselenko, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  16. realgroupspeak

realgroupspeak Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, What Would Google Do?

realgroupspeak, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  17. sharelinks

sharelinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind that YouTube IS Google and it's one of the largest social Networks in the world. They have less REGISTERED users but pretty much everyone uses YouTube. I don't know anybody who doesn't watch vids on YouTube. I know plenty of people who don't have Fbook pages. Facebook is also one of the best ways to spread YouTube vids too. Google and Facebook need each other.

Just remember that the next time that you're watching a YouTube video on Facebook, You're actually using Google on Facebook. Food for thought...

sharelinks, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  18. AmD555

AmD555 Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook and Google are 2 different things ,,, Google is more for marketing and Facebook communication

AmD555, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  19. Samuel01

Samuel01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I too agree with you. Orkut’s viewership stats have really seen a great fall. And people are switching over to other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. I think the reason is, Facebook and Twitter are not just networking sites. They are also used as a very good platform by business people to advertise their business. So these sites are really in very much demand.

Samuel01, Oct 26, 2010 IP
  20. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has a lot of other stuff to do

Genesis1, Dec 8, 2010 IP