1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is not possible to be nice to people?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gworld, May 12, 2005.

A while back I noticed a web site that uses one of my trademarks. I like to be nice to people and try to solve the problem without fighting, so I send him a nice email, explaining that he is using my trademark and he should please stop it.
    The guy ignores my email, so I send him another polite email, explaining my position and a request that he stops using my trademark and he again ignores me.

I understood that there is no reasoning with this guy, so I send him and his hosting company a C & D letter and request that hosting company should remove his sites or be subject to legal actions.
    It seems the hosting company has stopped his hosting and all his sites are down now. I don't feel any happiness about this and this was not what I wanted but this guy left me no alternative.

Why is becoming so difficult to be nice to people? It seems when you are nice to many people these days, they just take it as a sign of weekness and don't believe some one can geniuenly wants to be nice.

gworld, May 12, 2005 IP
  2. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I don´t believe that- I think there are a lot of genuine people who appreciate a kindness. You just stumbled on a d***head. Chalk it up to experience and let´s hope he does too. Maybe next time he´ll respond to the nice email before the bulldozers move in.

e10, May 12, 2005 IP
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have a competitor who has copied my images for a line of products I carry. The picture I spent the time to edit and made a conglomerate for a design. I even talked to supplier to maybe have him let the competitor know, but he wouldn't. So, now I have to contact him and I want to settle it politely. The problem will remain if he doesn't is now you have to go as far as legal action.

So I will do the nice thing and write him or call him first politely, of course. Hopefully it will end there.

debunked, May 12, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I was nice to a guy once. It didn't work out either.

Crazy_Rob, May 12, 2005 IP
  5. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You were nice ONCE! What? In your whole life. Maybe you need more practice.

Look. This is a scary smile: :D

This is the kind of smile that normal people use: :)

Which were you wearing when you were being nice?

e10, May 12, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO! :D :D :D

CR is moving up rapidly on my list of "DP posters with a sense of humor"... :eek:

minstrel, May 12, 2005 IP
  7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's plenty of fish in the sea.

Infiniterb, May 12, 2005 IP
  8. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    just keep trying Rob, this world would be a happier place if we all did...

frankm, May 12, 2005 IP
  9. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I had this friend for 4 years. She asked me to make her a layout for her site for free. So of course, cause she's a friend, I did it.

About a month went by and I was very busy with work and she wanted another one for her boyfriend. I didn't have the time and said I couldn't do it for like at least 2 weeks.

So, now we're no longer friends, she flipped out, told me all this stuff she thought of me that I never knew, threatened to call my home if she could find the number and tell a bunch of lies about me and basically try to ruin my life. After all this, I stupidly was still rational and calmly explained that I did say I'd do it, just in two weeks. I didn't feed her little frenzy, I ignored it and she went away after a week and hate's my guts.

With friends like those....hehehe...

So I know what you mean. I've had my share of people taking advantage of my kindness. It's a sad world. :(

Colleen, May 12, 2005 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    e10,

I think it is little bit more than what you have described and we are witnessing a change in the society.

Lady78 story reminded me of something that happened couple of month ago. I meet this woman through my girl friend who was financially in a bad situation because of divorce and wanted to start a company to sell a product and she needed a web site but had no money for it.
    I tried to be nice and I said I can do it for her, I bought her the domain, installed a e-commerce script that I wasn't using, designed the web site and even hosted it on my server for free. I didn't get a penny from her even for domain name.

Two weeks later she is in our place and asking me who is the domain registered to, I told her that it was under her name. She asked me, if she could have ftp access to the domain, I said yes and I have given the information to her before, but now I am curious since I know this woman knows nothing about computers, so it is strange that she is asking about ftp.
    I asked her what is this about and what is the problem? She tells me that her friend has told her, that it is strange that I have done this for her and it must be something wrong and I must want something.
    Now, I was getting angry, so I ask her if I have received a penny from her or even if she has anything that I can take from her or want, and she answers no but I could still see the mis-trust in her eyes.

When I was growing up, the attitude was that people help each other and they will only hurt you if there is something in it for them but today, the attitude is that everybody wants to hurt you and they will only help you if there is something in it for them.

This is becoming a sad world. :(

gworld, May 12, 2005 IP
  11. Colleen

Best Answers:
    I can totally relate, gworld. That's terrible, I have no idea what she thought you could take though, maybe customer info, so dumb. That's crazy.

Colleen, May 13, 2005 IP
  12. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a depressing story and a depressing thought. Maybe the distrust you are experiencing is more of the internet and those involved in it, than of people in general? People are wise to look every on-line gift horse in the mouth thanks to all the scammers, spammers and frauds. Maybe Gworld, you caught the backlash of that?

Lady78 your friend sounds like a nutter but I´m sure you both must know some normal people? Hell ... look at this forum, there are some normal people here, like ... uhm ...

:eek:

e10, May 13, 2005 IP
  13. Colleen

Best Answers:
    e10, lol, she is and was a nutter, but if it took that and 4 years to show it, well I am not sure I can trust many people. I've learned to look out for number one. :)

Colleen, May 13, 2005 IP
  14. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Your {cough} friend does sound crazy. Did you steal her boyfriend or something. It just sounds like a total irrational tantrum. What an ungrateful person! Well the best advice I can give comes from the old Proverb "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head" ;)

Weirfire, May 13, 2005 IP
  15. Colleen

Best Answers:
    Haha Weir, no. I couldn't steal him if I tried. She's so controlling that he's not allowed to even have a job so they live with his parents and they both don't work. If anything, she was pissed if I ever got a new friend, she wanted all my time and hated me having other friends, it's like we were dating! I am better off without her and some others.

Colleen, May 13, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    That sounds awesome. Here I am working my butt off :p

yfs1, May 13, 2005 IP
  17. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    How did you get his email? for what it is worth, the emails in my domain contact info have become so spammed out, that it would be unlikely if I ever saw a legit message from someone that used it. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

jbw, May 13, 2005 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Sometimes someone else is looking out for you as well :)

Blogmaster, May 13, 2005 IP
  19. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Aw wierd stories! Some people are keraZyyyyy. I only seem to meet nice people. I never ever have problems with anyone. I am extreamly nice to everybody & they treat me exactly how I treat them. :eek:

Ombop..

MELLA, May 13, 2005 IP
  20. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    That reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield quote in back to school

yfs1, May 13, 2005 IP