1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why YOU Should Quit Your Job NOW!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Julio C. Garcia, Mar 28, 2013.

This is an amazing article I found on Yahoo!

I strongly recommend you to read this!

Why You Should Quit Your Job Now

By Morgan Korn

More than 12 million Americans are jobless and 40% of these individuals have been out of work for more than six months. The U.S. economy overall may be improving but many Americans still cannot find a job. This trend will only continue in the foreseeable future says James Altucher, managing director of Formula Capital, an asset management firm. The author and venture capitalist tells The Daily Ticker’s Aaron Task that the U.S. is moving toward an “employee-less society.”
    “If you’re just sitting still, shuffling paper, they’re going to fire you,” he argues. “Cubicles have become commodities. You’re like the walking dead if you have a job.”
    According to Altucher, businesses used the 2008 financial crisis as an excuse to get rid of “dead wood” and the firing trend hasn’t stopped. Companies no longer show loyalty to employees. They're more interested in increasing profits and revenue – which means letting go of expensive staff employees (due to health care benefits, 401k contributions) and replacing them with cheaper temp employees. Altucher says this situation is happening in every sector of the economy and he should know – he sits on the board of a publicly traded temp hiring firm.
    “If you’re stuck in a cubicle you have a target on your back…the CEO is looking to cut you out,” he declares. “Temp staffing is sweeping the nation.”

The changing employment climate has made Altucher an advocate of employees quitting their jobs. He lists 10 reasons why workers should give their two-week notice:
    1. The Middle Class Is Dead
    2. You've Been Replaced
    3. Corporations Don't Like You
    4. Money Is Not Happiness
    5. Count Right Now How Many People Can Make A Major Decision That Can Ruin Your Life
    6. Is Your Job Satisfying Your Needs?
    7. Your Retirement Plan Is For Sh-t
    8. Excuses
    9. It's OK To Take Baby Steps
    10. Abundance Will Never Come From Your Job
    Of course, packing up your cubicle and leaving a steady paycheck is a lot easier said than done. Even if an employee waits to be fired to collect unemployment benefits, the weekly sum will be much less than one’s current take home pay.
    So Altucher offers a compromise: stay at your job but become an “entre-employee.” By this he means building connections and networking with employees in other divisions or even starting another business on the side.
    “Look for alternative sources of income,” he advises. “Learn your employer’s connections and expand your services because you can’t relax anymore. You have to stay ahead of the economy.”
    Altucher says the techniques he preaches work – he has applied them to his own career with success.

Julio C. Garcia, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  2. craig crawford

craig crawford Member

Best Answers:
    Great information!

Thanks for sharing :)

Craig

craig crawford, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  3. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Julio,

I totally agree as I did just that yesterday - it was my last day as an employee.

I planned this for about 3 months, getting myself a client base and now I earn in 1 day what I was being paid for 2 weeks work.

It takes 3 things I believe to make the move;
    1/ Dissatisfaction where you are
    2/ A vision of where you choose to be
    3/ Action - just do it!

Steve

Steve Baker, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Have not been working for anyone for the last 2.5 years. You just assess your talents, take a risk and stick with your business plan. That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Of course, it is great to have a supportive spouse, who understands the challenges of running your own business and encourages you with his/her support along the way.

qwikad.com, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  5. AKraly

AKraly Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good post... I would never recommend anyone leaves their paycheck until their online income can cover their expenses but it's so true how middle class jobs are dead/dying. So many of my friends went into the corporate world after college (seven years ago) only to be laid off or to be stuck in the same position for years without a promotion...

It's tough out there but I feel if people put the same effort into themselves that they put into their day jobs they would be MUCH better off financially.

AKraly, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  6. HealthWebmasters Dave

HealthWebmasters Dave Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "Corporations don't like you". LOL, what a load of shit. I do however, feel that corporations are detrimental to this country and could ultimately really screw us over. The reason I feel this way is they take out the smart business people that understand how to make a company grow in the long term, and focus on rewarding their leaders for short term success.

I could rant on this for hours, but as a quick example:
    CEO has to decide between two options:

-Upgrade their manufacturing line. The upgrade will cost the company 100 million dollars. The upgrade will increase productivity by 10% and will save 5% in labor and is built by the most durable steel available (breakdowns aren't a concern). The company will recover its costs in 5 years. The line can also be expanded easily to add another 80% of production if necessary at a fraction of the initial cost (opportunity for even more profit).

-Repair the line. The repairs will cost 2 million dollars and should keep the line easily running another 2 years without issue. No increase in productivity or long term benefits. CEO earns stock options on their performance, which would be drastically affected by a 100 million dollar line upgrade.

CEO most likely will have a different job in 5 years, whey the heck would they do the upgrade? More cash in their pocket, more return for stockholders in the year that CEO is making the decision, and he's in good favor with all as a result.

Bottom line about corps in the USA is they tone down the entrepreneurial spirit to a detrimental point that will ultimately, and already has, put us behind all other civilized countries in the world.

HealthWebmasters Dave, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  7. rdbranson

rdbranson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think that was meant in the abstract. E.g., if the company focuses on profits, than every employee is an expense, and you don't "like" expenses, etc.
    It has come to a point where, at least in the U.S., where a corporation is more "human" than a human, lol. So maybe it makes sense to start talking about corporations liking and not liking. Next we will can start talking about male and female corporations, maybe. I wonder how the U.S. Supreme Court would deal with that.
    Anyway, I agree pretty much with what you said about the state of business and entrepreneurship in the USA. It's worse than disgraceful.

rdbranson, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  8. sharondzouza

sharondzouza Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great decision. All the best for your future vision.

sharondzouza, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  9. nba002

nba002 Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I really wanna quit my job.
    It kills me everyday.

nba002, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  10. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this makes quite a bit of sense. So essentially work for the pacycheck but do something else on the side to secure your future income. Then when you lose your job you are already all set.

Jeremy Miller, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  11. goldieregalado

goldieregalado Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know it’s very much chance for a person to take decision to leave job and to start a business especially when an individual has an adoption of having a monthly income and expenses incurred on him or her. But to acquire anything in a bigger way one should have the guts to start something new, but obviously there must be some specialty in his or her judgment.. For them its not so hard-hitting to get started...

goldieregalado, Apr 3, 2013 IP
    vidhi543 likes this.
  12. Jing_MorinHosting

Jing_MorinHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Maybe start with by asking yourself "what you really want? and what qualifications you have to fit in?" then start seeing yourself working happily with the job you have. It is very important to learn to love your job first and give it a try before quitting with just lame excuses.

Jing_MorinHosting, Apr 3, 2013 IP