1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Digg crash my server?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by R_e_M_i_X, Feb 13, 2008.

I'm using the baby plan with HostGator. Is it even worth getting on Digg front page? Will it crash my server? What can I do to prevent it from crashing?

R_e_M_i_X, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    yes, more then likely if you get on the front page

just try it and see ;)
    then you'll know

Brandon Sheley, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  3. R_e_M_i_X

R_e_M_i_X Guest

Best Answers:
    Will upgrading to the Swamp plan make it any easier to stay up? Swamp plan gives unlimited bandwidth, not sure if that makes any difference...

R_e_M_i_X, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  4. meetbro

meetbro Banned

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the popularity

Read articles on "how to survive digg homepage effect" ;)

meetbro, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  5. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    My server crashed but it wasn't bandwith, it was server CPU usage. My code wasn't optimized and my pages weren't cached, so every visitor had to execute >20 different files just to see one page.

How much bandwith do you get each month? If you're expecting a lot of visitors its probably worth the upgrade anyway. You don't want your website to go down before you upgrade its bandwith, it could take a lot longer to fix than taking some images down. I was able to get my site back up in about 5 minutes...

korr, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  6. ardley216

ardley216 Peon

Best Answers:
    i use baby host plan... i would like the same... baby gator gets 1000gb bandwidth i think.. unless its more now... how visitors would it take to crash 1000gb of bandwidth?

ardley216, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  7. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    The month I hit the front page I used >2,600 GB of bandwith and 99.9% of my traffic was coming from Digg and sites pointing to my article on Digg.

But remember, its not just the bandwith that with crash your shared hosting account, its CPU usage that is usually the first to go!

korr, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  8. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure you won't EVER pass the offerings of the second plan with the limits HostGator enforce.

Sohan, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  9. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that's total bandwidth for a month. The Digg effect on a non-optimized page could crash it in a matter of minutes with thousands of hits. The Digg effect is essentially doing the same thing as a DDOS attack. Sites that have a robust hosting package and are optimized for high traffic will be able to withstand the onslaught while the rest go down. If your page is written in efficient code and has few or no pictures, it can be pretty hard to bring down. There have been some Digg stories about sites that have been able to withstand the Digg effect while running on rather antiquated "servers," such as an Apple Newton, so it really all depends on how you're set up to handle that kind of traffic (although having full control of the actual servers would also help a lot, no matter how old they are).

davewashere, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  10. j0ned

j0ned Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check out this article for more information on surviving the digg effect..

j0ned, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  11. joffer

joffer Peon

Best Answers:
    its likely to crash your server. use caching.

joffer, Feb 14, 2008 IP