1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will I be shooting myself in the foot with free content?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by jhmattern, Aug 11, 2006.

I'm in the process of moving some of my own content off of a network and onto my own site. I've moved the content, need to do some work on the section and home pages and then I'll probably run a logo contest or something before "officially" launching. Now, since I'm moving the content, it's not "unique" anymore, but it is still mine, and I do plan to continue building the site as quickly as possible. It's a business-oriented network, with various sub-sites on topics like starting a business, marketing, pr, freelance jobs, consulting, etc. While I do have my own content, it's not a huge quantity, so I've been thinking about just adding some free articles (linking to them separately from my own, so it's obvious they're not mine). Over time, I may remove them and write my own pieces on the subjects, or hire someone to (I can't afford right now to buy quality articles in the kind of quantity I'd like before launching) at some point. But will using these kill the site from the get-go? Should I just leave it with minimal content and grow it more slowly, or will burying the free articles a little bit in comparison help out? Sorry... I've never used something like this before. I am trying to keep my adsense revenue reasonably similar to where I built it to on the network, but I'm not interested in this becoming any typical kind of mfa site. If I do use free articles, I'd be reading them and hand-picking only ones I believe are of actually decent quality. Also, I'd only be featuring my own or other unique articles on the main page and section pages. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Here's a sample page for what I'm talking about: http://freelancejobs.bizammo.com/index.php/freelance_101

My articles are listed first... then the sponsored links (adsense)... then "more articles" specifically saying it's external authors ... and then hand-chosen external resources.

The site's nowhere near done, and most of the nav doesn't work other than the left column, but if you have any other general feedback, feel free to say so. Such as... is the blue too blinding? Should I not have the page stretching the full width? etc. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 11, 2006 IP