1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will this hurt me?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by designventures, Nov 15, 2014.

Hi
    I have a client which is a small construction contractor. I am planning to write 3-4 articles and use Fiver to hire somebidy to submit it to 100-500 directories.

Also I am planning to put citations on local business directories using fiver

And last thing I am planning is to do classified ads. Again using fiver...

Will these things hurt me? I plan to use fiver Top Rated services providers but still you never know.

Any ideas? suggestions?

designventures, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Out of everything you mentioned there only craigslist sounds good to me. I'd concentrate my efforts just on it, if I were you.

qwikad.com, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  3. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Classifieds might work depending on where you advertise and the demand of that service in the area.

The other things are a complete waste of time and some can really hurt you. I am not a fan of Fiverr at all, especially when it comes to services for serious businesses. You cannot expect a decent job when you are paying a fiver for something that normally takes months to do. Even explaining it, don't you consider sending an article to 500 different places the very definition of Spam? At the end of the day all those plan can only result in a short-term rise in ranks, follow by a hard and inevitable drop.

Rado_ch, Nov 15, 2014 IP
    jrbiz and malky66 like this.
  4. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not a fan of Fiverr, or even mass posting to numerous directories as it could potentially hurt your r/s with search engines.

Craiglist sounds fine, but depending on your geographic location, it may work differently for the construction industry.
    E.g. it may work better via offline advertising for some countries.

Alternatively, spend your effort partnering with companies like Interior Design firms. I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Ethan Alvin, Nov 15, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. designventures

designventures Active Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, this client does not want to spend a dime. I am just trying to do my best to help him. Yeha I know quality and price goes together

designventures, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  6. designventures

Best Answers:
    I only got $100 to spend on outsourcing... I do not know where to spend that money effectively...

7. designventures

Best Answers:
    or $150 max spending budget for this client. So trying to optimize the dollars to get best of it

8. writingdynasty

writingdynasty Peon

Best Answers:
    It is nothing wrong with outsourcing work for your business or somebody else business. You just got to make sure you have outsourcers that are dependable and will deliver quality work.
    As far as Fiverr is concern - it is nothing wrong with using Fiverr. There are some good outsourcers on there. I would say use top rated providers. I wouldn't say the process you plan to
    use will hurt you, but I will say there are more effective processes. But, doing classified ads is a okay starting place.

writingdynasty, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Don't run up your post count. Just edit your other post and add to it whatever you forgot to add to it.

It seems like you're not reading our posts or something. A lot of fiverr advertising gigs are bogus. Don't fall for it. It was said and discussed many times in the past on this forum and all kinds of other places.

If I were you I'd post as many ads on craigslist as I possibly could, and that's it.

Or, I'd spend that $150 on paid advertising (Bing, AdWords) to get some real, tangible results.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    qwikad.com, Nov 16, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fiverr is actually fantastic for getting small things done. However, when it comes to marketing and advertising $5 is going to get you what $5 is going to get you. You can't even order a VALUE meal at a fast food joint for five bucks... Yet you think you're going to get QUALITY marketing that's beyond your expertise and experience? You must use common sense....

Need an audio clip of a professional males voice advertising your web site? Fiverr is awesome!

Need someone to market your web site in a way that you will receives hundreds of more relative visitors? Fiverr can't do shit...

As for submitting your web site to 100-500 directories? WHY!? Again common sense... In theory it sounds like 1. it will boost your page rank with google and 2. you will pick up some extra customers that are looking at all of those web sites. Now here's the reality... Link Directories are Link Farms with one purpose. That purpose is attempting to drive up Page Rank. Most of these Directories receive little to zero traffic. Most of these Directories have a page rank of 0. The Directories that are new with a Page Rank of greater than zero achieved their status with black hat methods. Most of these directories are a WASTE to list on. Also...do you think someone is going to take the time to manually submit your web site to each site for five bucks? No way! Get out! They are going to use some sort of script OR perhaps they own all of the directories (all PR0 on the same IP) and they just need to submit it one time to a shared database. Eitherway it does NOTHING for your site.

I would rather pay someone five bucks to submit my web site to 10 trust worthy legit directories WITH rank than to blast my site to all of these link farms. Btw...in 6 months 95% of those directories won't exist causing your site to drop hundreds of back end links. That's a huge red flag to search engines. You may not be penalized "earning" the links. But you risk being penalized losing all of the links.

NetStar, Nov 16, 2014 IP
  11. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looking at it you have 2 choices:

- refuse the job and keep your credibility, explaining to your client the obvious - that his goals are possible given they have time/patience and financial resources. As the client cannot offer either of those its best not to mislead them and become one of those SEO Gurus that offer you the stars and leave you empty-handed
    - explain the client how SEO works and why their funds would be insufficient for long-term results. If they are ok with investing in low-quality services - its their choice. At least they are aware of the possible consequences so when the inevitable happens your hands are clean.

@NetStar your comment is spot on, the only thing I might add is that five bucks should be totally insufficient even for 10 directory submissions. Heck, even 1 for $5 would seem fishy to me ;)

Rado_ch, Nov 16, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $5 to submit to an open directory. Not $5 to list on a paid directory.

NetStar, Nov 16, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  13. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are a great way to get a permanent penguin penalty in google.

jestep, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  14. ceenote100

ceenote100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can bet that 99.9% of those directories will be bogus. I've done this before and it would cause your ranking to drop. Don't waste your money on junk.

ceenote100, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  15. memoryrameka2

memoryrameka2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello designventures..

i use fiverr alot..i have my go to person in fiverr i use on a regular basis she just awesome work for me..
    and they are very affordable so no it won't hurt ..
    you got to try them out and see for yourself..

memoryrameka2, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  16. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even buying directory submission services on here suck. The last time I did I paid $35 to have my web site submitted to 100 directories. It ended up that every single directory was PR0 and on the same IP. Every site was a direct mirror with only the name being different. It never got scraped by Google and when it came time for the idiot to renew the domains he opted not to and all sites went down..... This same story 85% of people share that have ever paid for a directory submission service.

I also one time paid $25 for someone to submit my web site to 250+ directories. Some were PR4's and most appeared to be on unique domain names. Out of hundreds of submissions probably only 80 or so "stuck". A few months later half of the web sites were gone. A couple years later ZERO were a live. Did it do anything for my traffic? At that time (era) it did boost my rankings in Google for certain keywords but not by much. Did I ever benefit from it? Nah =)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    NetStar, Nov 17, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Alright I think we've missed the point that some of us are trying to bring across.
    FIVERR IS FINE. No issues as there are definitely quality vendors providing quality services.

The main issue is with the method of submitting to directories, which WILL hurt your r/s with the search engines.
    These services are considered black hat now, and you can never find a quality seller on Fiverr that does that properly. They'll prob just use a software to do the submissions.

Ethan Alvin, Nov 17, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Classified ads - This kind of campaign will only provide temporary exposure (free member usually 6 months exposure) because most of them are using premium account in order to get your ad continuously showed in the site. (usually 1 year then replenish the account to continue subscription)
    Directory submission - Usually this kind of services came from low quality site submission that violates quality guidelines. Link schemes.

KylieSweet, Nov 17, 2014 IP
  19. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    As I see it, there are three problems with that plan. For one, I can't imagine that an article you can get for $5 would be worth publishing but, more importantly, there aren't five hundred directories worth submitting your site to. I have worked in the web directory industry for a long time now, but I have to tell you that most directories are crap. There are some very good directories, some good directories, and some directories that will probably do you more good than harm, but then there are the other ninety percent of directories that are crap. You need to learn what to look for in a web directory, and review any directory that you're planning to submit a site to, and that's the third problem -- do it yourself. Quite frankly, I think your client should do it himself but since he has entrusted you with the task, you shouldn't pass it off to someone else who doesn't care what happens with it. Most directory submission services are scams. Finding good directories isn't that hard; you can find some of them through the links in my signature. Submitting a site to a directory also isn't so hard; in the information section of my directory of directories, you'll find some tutorials on choosing a category, writing a description, and submitting a site.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    jrbiz likes this.
  20. Ron Farrow

Ron Farrow Member

Best Answers:
    As a frequent user of Fiverr, I would not use it for SEO per se. However Fiverr can be great in producing website content. New, unique content will boost your Google ranking organically, particularly if you link it to Social media sites. A Blogger blog will get your message on page one if it has 2 or more blog posts a week. For written content try IWriter in addition to Fiverr and contrary to a previous post you can get a decent 500 word unique article for $5.

Ron Farrow, Nov 18, 2014 IP