1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will You Rate Drupal Over Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by DaffodilSW, Jan 22, 2013.

Will you rate Drupal over WordPress considering all your web development requirements?

Web development requirements can include anything like,
    - How comfortable to use?
    - Security issues.
    - Management/maintenance issues.
    - etc.......

What's your opinion?

DaffodilSW, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  2. trak

trak Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, WordPress is still the mainstream platform for Content management system. I think many people will agree that WordPress is much more comfortable to use compared to Drupal.

trak, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  3. riteshsanap

riteshsanap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i haven't tried drupal yet, but wordpress is seriously easy and awesome, as i have been using it for over 3 years manageability is awesome and haven't face any security problems yet

riteshsanap, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  4. nmridul

nmridul Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you plan to use them for.
    If you are looking for a mega project, Drupal makes it easy to create your own modules and extend it compared to Wordpress.
    If its just a blog or some simple portal with simple features, wordpress is what you are looking for. It works out of the box.

nmridul, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  5. tushonline

tushonline Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe, the moment I read the title - I thought of jumping into this thread. :)

I used Drupal for some time & open to use it if need be, but in last couple of years - shifted my complete focus from Drupal to WordPress.

The reasons may not be too good for justifications with more advanced devs around however, Drupal has a long (I mean really stretched) learning curve.

Templating system and the file system is not easy to memorize or use such as WordPress

There are way too many permission allotments needs handling which is good for security but not too good when you're building a website.

Drupal is very good in terms of solidity but WordPress to me appears as more usable with relatively less time spent on a project.

The most disliked thing about Drupal for me was, one must use "Views" module or similar in order to get dynamic views/sections/pages to appear in other parts of the website - whereas in WordPress - its not the same case.

Once you get a good grip on anything in WordPress (even though you're not a super php dev) - you can do a lot more things without the plugins.

+ you can still use thousands of free plugins available

WP Supercache appears to me as much better option for WordPress than that of Drupal's default caching system

Last but not the least - WordPress is too good for on-page SEO. Once you install it and use Yoast SEO plugin, you should be 70-80% done with on-page SEO. Drupal on other hand did not appear to be so friendly.

Both are great systems - its just that I find WordPress more productive and easy-to-use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    tushonline, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  6. DaffodilSW

DaffodilSW Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks all for your responses. Seems WordPress has an edge over Drupal for small/blog websites, but for bigger sites you should choose Drupal.

DaffodilSW, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  7. Rob Orr

Rob Orr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There's really been a lot of comparison between Drupal and WordPress and I think that the best way to approach this debate is to determine how comfortable you are working with the different platforms.

If you're a developer or a programmer, then Drupal is going to be much easier for you to learn and use. But if you’re new to website design/development and you’re looking to build a blog or a website easily and quickly, then WordPress is obviously the way to go. WordPress is awesome and I use it on a lot of client projects. There's a lot of things that you can do with it. There are tons of awesome premium plugins that you can use to extend a site. It’s possible to build a robust website with WordPress. It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The other side of the coin is Drupal. You know, with Drupal, it's a lot like an open box of all kinds of toys and great things that you can get to build something awesome with. I liken using Drupal and WordPress to something like going to the Lego store. you can go in and buy a Lego set that builds a specific kind of thing like a spaceship or an airplane. You can buy the kit, and the kit has all the pieces that you need to be able to build the image printed outside of the Lego box. At the other end of the Lego store are all the types of the building blocks that Lego has ever made. You know, you buy a handful of red ones, a handful of blue ones, and a handful of yellow ones in all different shapes and sizes and then you can let your imagination run wild to come up with a unique creation. That’s how I see the two.

One’s wide open, allowing you to explore the limits of your creativity and imagination. Drupal’s like that, wide open in terms of what you can do with it and how you can build things with it. The community's awesome and the modules that are contributed by the same community tremendous. You can build just about anything you want with Drupal. With WordPress all you need is a certain level of expertise. WordPress has this whole market associated with it—like third-party premium plugins and themes. They give you that plug-and-play facility.

The attention to security that both take is also assuring and reliable. Both make security updates consistently and the communities surrounding both platforms are really strong.

WordPress is going to be easier to use for the inexperienced but Drupal is going to give you a lot more configurability and options right out of the box. As far as maintenance and other things, they both have their quirks—about how they work—but you know, WordPress is the one that's everyone's using these days so it appears it’s the more popular platform, but Drupal definitely has its strengths.

Hope this helps…

Rob Orr, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  8. duckz

duckz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using Drupal and Wordpress for almost 4 years now.

In my opinion, Wordpress is for people who just want to get things done, don't care about "nice" coding, don't care about "you must code thing this way or heresy!", don't really care about "you must use form api to build yer form!"..... In short its all about point, click, type a bit and voila, your site is up and running.

On the other hand, Drupal is for people who got OCD complex disorder, write code with tabs? Heresy!, write HTML form without form api? Darn newbs!, use php if statement without { ? bad coder!, write HTML tag without theme / tpl? Bad THEMER!...... in short? everything must be done in Drupal way!

What those point has to do with me?
    If you are just "user" not "Developer (aka geeks), probably nothing will effect you, coz most of the time user just don't see all the code behind the GUI. but if you ARE geeks, you probably wonders and scratching your head why wordpress can be so much popular when their coding is an absolute mess?

Comfortably to use?
    Geeks will loves Drupal, its GUI will allow them to do almost anything that they can think off, modules such as views, panels, context, delta, display suite etc etc is very very powerful and wordpress user can only drool and have wet dreams for those kind of tools installed on wp site.

Normal user? I can image they will bang their head in the wall when trying to use those "wonderful but made for geeks (TM)" tools, imagine this, using wordpress to upload image and attach those image in a post, one just need to drag the image when creating a post (sound logical?), but in Drupal..... you'll need to install : a) ckeditor b) wysiwyg c) use field images.... next.. grab the library for ckedtor or imce or whatever,.... next .... configure the module.... THEN you can use wysiwyg feature but no media libraries yet!, install media modules blah blah blah..... confusing?

In short: standard WP usability can only be matched by Drupal if you have Drupal rockstar to build your site for you!.

Management
    Managing Drupal meaning that you have to go through many forms, there is no "Dashboard" ready made for you. (Drupal lover will argue that you can build your own dashboard here!) , While on wordpress once it is installed, everything is manageable easily through probably a couple of form.

does this mean wordpress is easier to manage?
    if you compare 5 pages catalog site made using wordpress vs drupal then the answer is YES, but if you are building complex site then probably managing it via Drupal is better.

The moral of this story?
    Don't use Drupal for simple site (aka blog, catalog site, small ecommerce site), Don't use wordpress for complex site.

duckz, Feb 17, 2013 IP
  9. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on requirements. I use Wordpress only for very simple sites, after learning the hard way trying to make complex ones. I've been using Wordpress and Durpal (along with other CMS) for many years (seven? Maybe more).

How comfortable to use?
    Wordpress is very easy to use. It's easy to get on with a simple site. If you want to start doing something a bit more clever (such as ecommerce, custom content types and similar), then it falls over. An easier time doing this with Drupal. In its current version, Drupal is now a lot more straightforward to use, with a bit more power "out of the box". The learning curve is there if you are trying to move over from another CMS, as you're used to the way that works. If you're learning a CMS for the first time, it's not that bad at all. (On older versions, I would find myself fixing modules a lot, but now I don't find this problem.)

Security issues.
    Drupal all the way. Wordpress needs a lot more locking down and doesn't have as good security control as Drupal (for users, for example).

Management/maintenance issues.
    Update of plugins/modules is straightforward for both. Wordpress is easier to update the core (automatic). Drupal is only automatic (for the core) if you use Drush (a shell for Drupal, like cmd ... for those who are from a Windows background). Otherwise, it's manual (although I just updated today and it was simple - delete all folders except one, unzip the other, run the update script and done - the file management was all done in CPanel, too), unless you're using Softaculous or similar.

Drupals reports are good for maintenance - will tell you about problems with the site.

User management is much more useful in Drupal (if you need something with more flexibility than Wordpress').

Both Wordpress and Drupal are broken down into sections, with each one having various tick boxes, text boxes, drop down menus, etc, to use. They aren't entirely different from that point of view. As you install more plugins/modules in each you will get more options. Drupal's are more contained within one central, logical area. Whereas Wordpress can get chaotic, items in tools than should be in settings. Plugins with their own menus, when it would make more sense to integrate with settings, etc.

BUT... I recommend installing Ampps, trying out several CMS and finding which you prefer for your situation. There is no overall "best". Each are good depending upon the purpose.

ryan_uk, Feb 17, 2013 IP
  10. coronationim

coronationim Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Our design firm exclusively uses Wordpress. We've attempted to edit sites done in Drupal and found it much more complex to edit for us and our clients.

The one big thing we've noticed with Drupal is how much more difficult it is to edit for Search Engine Optimization purposes. We find it very hard to edit things like the title, description and keywords. Plugins within Wordpress make that so much easier. Plus, things like Heading tags are easier to deal with in Wordpress.

Here's one important thing to note: 15% of all websites on the Internet are powered by Wordpress.

coronationim, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Search the modules for Drupal. There are at least two for this (and about 3+ for meta tags, at least one of those can do titles, too) and work no different to Yoast's Wordpress SEO and all the other SEO/title/meta tags plugins for Wordpress. Sounds like you are making like hard for yourself by not using modules (that type of approach will cause problems regardless of CMS).

Start here:

http://drupal.org/project/modules/?...[1]=drupal_core:103&f[2]=bs_project_sandbox:0

The SEO Checklist module will help you select modules if you are lazy to research.

ryan_uk, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  12. annaharris

annaharris Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per my experience, I would like to say that wordPress is still the mainstream platform for Content management system. It is more user-friendly as well as easy to use than drupal.

annaharris, Mar 30, 2013 IP