1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

windows vs linux

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sofy60, Mar 24, 2005.

windows vs linux

Does anyone know the market share of these two operating systems in regard to servers online.
    Im thinking linux is bigger but I maybe wrong.

sofy60, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    anthonycea, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  3. Qal

Qal Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally, Windows is used extensively world-wide. However, Linux is used on almost 70% of the webservers.

Although windows is cursed too much, but it would be wrong to rank 'Linux' is the #1.

Qal, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    There's a site I've seen on slashdot that has market share stats... hold on a minute here.

nevetS, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/03/index.html
    There are some graphs there.

nevetS, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  6. Qal

Qal Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't need graphs to prove that Linux enjoys a larger share in the Weberver Market. But anyway, thanks for the link. :)

Qal, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Aahh - you were talking in the general server market. I would think that Windows has the biggest market share, followed by Sun, with Linux pulling up the rear. There are a lot more commercial applications written for Solaris and Windows than there are for Linux. I've been to quite a few fortune 500 data centers over the years, and there is surprisingly little linux knowledge among their employees. There's always a few champions, but there are very few sales people who push Linux products.

I think it will change in a few years. Having a quality, free application like Apache has opened some eyes - especially when companies get beat up with viruses propogated by IE servers. Exchange has a surprising stronghold on the corporate e-mail market, with IBM having a significant deployment as well, which doesn't make sense at all to me when you look at maintenance costs, additional product costs like virus filters and spam filters and then you look at qmail or sendmail that are free and have much stronger community support.

nevetS, Mar 24, 2005 IP