1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows XP and power outage

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wendydettmer, Feb 9, 2005.

We had a power outage today, all the computers are hooked up to protectors, blah blah. Mine is working fine, laptop is fine, but my hubby's computer is busted. The hard drive does not spin upon startup and the BIOS is not seeing it. any ideas? or is this god's way of telling me that i now have to let hubby buy a new computer :)

wendydettmer, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  2. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Power protector can do only so much, some power spikes do get through.

Replacing the whole computer should not be nessary just the hard drive or the power supply which are some times hurt by power fluctations.

mushroom, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  3. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    We've been playing for awhile, and the CD and DVD drive are also not seen, so we're thinking it's a power issue.....ughhhh

4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I had a power failure that resulted in my having to reload operating system and all programs. Machine was fine.

Shannon

Smyrl, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  5. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Those divices all require 3 different voltages from the power supply so it a good bet that all you will have to replace is the power supply.

mushroom, Feb 9, 2005 IP
  6. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    If the the drive controller is busted, you may still salvage the data if you take your hard drive to one of those data recovery companies. If it's just the controller (the one on the hard drive), it may be not that expensive, since they usually can hook it up to their controller and pump the data to another HDD. If it's the disk itself, it will cost you.

J.D.

J.D., Feb 9, 2005 IP
  7. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help guys. Hubby is gonna take it to his IT department tomorrow. He's adorable, but a pessimest and thinks the motherboard is blown. I don't think that's the case, cause it will boot into the BIOS, just doesn't see any drives.

ah well...thank goodness we're nerds and have 2 other working computers :)

8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Power spikes are funny. It will take a good deal of testing to figure out what is broken and what isn't...

The Power Supply could be a problem. It could be the motherboard got fried a little and that's why the disk controller isn't reading. The power spike could have gotten through to the disk, and the disk is the problem. Or maybe you just need to let the machine rest and try again in the morning. (yes, I've seen that work before!)

Just remember - the smoke is the magic that makes everything run. If you let the smoke out somehow by accident, the magic is gone and the computer won't work anymore.

nevetS, Feb 9, 2005 IP