1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wordpress confused!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by confusedone, Dec 24, 2009.

Hi i am currently trying to make a booksite using wordpress.com

Struggling with the posts a bit, and getting my head around pages and the difference etc.

Basically im trying to have a homepage/introduction, a contents page for various topics to link to and a contact form, so a very basic site. I have a few more bits and bobs but for now trying to manipulate the site.

I initially thought that a PAGE with categories of each chosen topic, and each topic on the list would link to POSTS, or maybe another page. Not sure how the best way would be here. EG - if it were a cook book site. PAGE one would be intro, PAGE 2 would be called categories, with lists like 'chocolate cakes', 'healthy options' etc....
    The 'healthy options' words would be a link to posts relating to healthy cakes and how to make them etc, same for the rest in the list. Sounds pretty straight forward? Confusing me a bit.

Should I be using posts or pages when trying to organise this? What do people think?

Also when I did try this site with a mixture of both, it had 2 HOME titles at the top. Tried to go to the admin pages to find if i can delete one, but there is only one HOME page displayed.

I trashed the lot (just kept it in trash though so it is still available!) hoping that i could add either a page or post at a time and work out it all, but not a clue. When all are trashed there is still a home page, but also I cant work out how to edit this one, as it says there are no active pages or posts????

One more quick question if anyone can help, does anyone know how to get rid of the 'site admin' and other things on my site? or make it invisible to visitors? or is that something that has to stay?

Many thanks for any help here,

Alan.

confusedone, Dec 24, 2009 IP
  2. eternalphoenix

eternalphoenix Guest

Best Answers:
    I actually think that Joomla is a better option for this. They have a better system for categories and organizing your posts which in Joomla are called "articles." If you would like me to help you make a Joomla site or if you would just like help working out the Wordpress issues please PM me. I will help for free and if you like what I do, I accept donations for my work. I have a "pay me what you think I am worth thing" system going on right now.

Also Joomla has some book extensions that I think would help you accomplish what you are trying to do.

Happy Holidays from,
    Eternal Phoenix Computing

eternalphoenix, Dec 24, 2009 IP
  3. asEZasABnC

asEZasABnC Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally like a theme ideally suited for this from Wordpress if you are hosting on-site. Check out my blog at diywebjem.com/blog/ and click through on the right sidebar. Mine is set up for a blog only but comes downloaded as regular Website with a blog included.

asEZasABnC
    Michael

DIY SEO Coach

asEZasABnC, Dec 24, 2009 IP