1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WordPress in sub-directory?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Plutonic, Jun 13, 2010.

So, I want to start creating a website, but I want a 'coming soon' page to be up.

So I'd need to install WordPress in a subdirectory, so people see the coming soon page and not the blog.

But then when I launch the site, it'll be in a sub directory and I want it on the home page.

Would I have to move everything to the home directory or is there an easier way? Could I just change something in .htaccess?

Thanks.

Plutonic, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  2. Plutonic

Plutonic Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously? Nobody can help me out?

3. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yeah using .htaccess from subdirectory to home page (301 redirect ) is suffcient

chandan123, Jun 13, 2010 IP
    Plutonic likes this.
  4. Plutonic

Plutonic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much.

5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just make an html file that says coming soon and stick it in the root folder

You don't need to 301 anything you just wont be able to set your permalinks until you remove the index file.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  6. createdevelop

createdevelop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel is right. You can install wordpress in the root directory but have an index.html file that says coming soon. When you want the website to go live, just delete the index.html file.

Oh and also, don't forget to make sure your robots.txt blocks the new website from being indexed.

createdevelop, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  7. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    I would install wordpress locally first and work on "the coming soon" stuff. If you are ready, then install wordpress in the root. If you have wordpress in your subfolder, it will be hassle later on, example when you submit sitemap to bing, or yahoo, etc. Google webmaster tool is easy but the others not in my opinion.

KimiGermany, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically speaking, you can just install Wordpress in the root dir and include an "index.html" page with the coming soon info. That page will get priority over index.php. I've done it many times.

Pixelrage, Jun 15, 2010 IP