1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Work for Agency or Go on your own?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by digidude59, Sep 5, 2016.

After loosing my customer service job at an agency and not seeing much opportunity except for commission sales... it seems I might be better off selling websites on my own to offline businesses and keeping most of the money...

Or I could go sell for an agency selling SEO for 25% commissions ... which seems like a much harder sell than just websites, which I could see and do myself or get an outsourcer as needed.

Which would you do after getting laid off?

digidude59, Sep 5, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Look at your strengths and weaknesses - much as you'd do for any business you were going to buy.
    Are you good with self discipline or do you need the ritual of getting up and turning up to put you in the mood to work?
    Can you close deals?
    Can you create the sites?
    Can you manage the tax and accounting side?
    Can you manage personal budgeting so that you save when sales are good, and don't panic when they aren't?

If you would rather let someone else handle all the legal and accounting stuff and you're not much interested in certain aspects then you might be better off with a job that lets you focus on what you enjoy and am good at.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2016 IP
  3. digidude59

digidude59 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply Sarah.

I have basically been self-employed / contracting and worked at home for over a year ... just for one company at a time. Working from home has been the absolute best at helping me manage my energy, health problems, needs of my family, etc... and I am plenty confident over skype, zoom, phone... much more so than in an office or some typical JOB.

I can close deals, advise, provide customer service... AS LONG AS... I believe in the product or service and it gives value. I can build landing pages and basic sites for small businesses, and do some marketing...but I also am resourceful enough to hire someone better and faster on Upwork, etc to provide something even more valuable than what I can offer.

Taxes, and accounting I've done many times... I'm a spreadsheet budget wizard.

My wife and I have learned to live cheap... and save up and survive for a month when nothing comes in...we have 1 old car, no cable TV... we can live on less than what a lot of young people live on, and we already get government assistance.

My only real problem has been finding leads... due to lack of funds ... cold calling didn't work when I just called up out of the blue... however, I've learned recently how to send something of value over by email first... and then I'm able to get a conversation going.

To me... I am really close to getting my first client... I've just been using Craigslist... which stinks surfing through all the low-paying gigs... and I was trying to sell services for an agency, which were overpriced and didn't seem that great to me...

I feel I just need to start cold emailing businesses after doing an analysis, and talk to as many as I can, until I get my first client... my guess is I could get paid for a couple of clients and at least pay rent, before I'd ever collect a paycheck from an agency or other low-paying job.

Sorry for rambling, but you helped me get the wheels spinning in my head... and I may have answered my own question.

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend joining a local networking group like BNI - they can be amazing and people are more likely to buy from someone they've been referred to.

I get loads of cold calls and emails so you'll need to really stand out. Be careful of your "cost per lead" as it can blow out.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2016 IP
  5. digidude59

digidude59 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Sarah. Appreciate the tips.

6. Helparo

Helparo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you want to think about a combination between the two of them. If you think you can get an outsourcer and can afford one, you can use the rest of the time to sell websites. It might end up in situation where can only win. Also, it can help you develop a business in time.

Helparo, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  7. billll

billll Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you know about SEO, or if you're expert in creating websites, then of course you can do wonders in internet marketing and in fact you can earn quite quickly too. There are lots of platforms which you can try... For instance, Elance, Guru, Fiverr, and etc.

Even the sky isn't the limit if you've the passion. You'll indeed earn much more than your expectations. Just decide what you want to do, and go for it. All you need is to find the platform and offer your services there...

billll, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  8. digidude59

digidude59 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I'm thinking: focus on generating leads and selling and getting money coming in... outsource whatever I don't have time for.

digidude59, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  9. digidude59

digidude59 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks ... Excellent way of putting it. It certainly could help to work those platforms to help get some leads in.

digidude59, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  10. David Dayao

David Dayao Peon

Best Answers:
    Go on your own, you will be more passionate about it

David Dayao, Sep 7, 2016 IP