1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would this be too much?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fryman, Feb 11, 2005.

I was thinking about targeting the keyword "link exchange"... but wow, shows over 31 million results at Google! :eek:

Even if I throw in all my 75k coop weight I don't think it would be possible to get a decent ranking for something like that. What do you think?

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  2. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    What you should do is get 5 other people who want to target this keyword and build a page with 6 adverts to each of your sites. Then all 6 of you link like crazy at this site and if you hit the top 10 results the rewards will be a lot greater than if you get 50th on your own site.

Good idea?

Weirfire, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    he he... I don't think I will find 5 people crazy enough to join me in this wacky idea...
    Plus, I don't remember ever seeing a top 10 rank for a single-page site. At least not for a word with so many results.

I guess it's time to go to good old Overture and start looking for easier keywords... :)

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  4. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    I have reviewed the SERPS and I feel that there should be no problems getting among the first 200 results. And once you have done that you will just have to keep fighting your way upwards one rank at the time. Many webmasters are interesed in exchaning links, so you will possibly get a whole lot more new link partners from the network than from the SERPS. You might find yourself being "sandboxed" for a few weeks.

I got a combined weight of a few hundred thousands links. Maybe I should throw it all in on one keyword? I just need to find a product that are general enough to be advertised successfully in the ad network.

Sorvoja, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I used to be a Google addict. I optimized for Google, I tweaked for Google, I did everything for Google and ignored the other engines... and sudenly I get slapped in the face and my site vanishes from the serps. Every single one of my top 10 rankings was gone. I guess I hit some kind of penalty, because my site is just nowhere to be seen anymore and my Google traffic is a big fat cero.

But MSN and Yahoo are bringing me more and more traffic every day. I think it is time now to turn my back and start focusing on those engines. With them you can see your results in just a couple of days. I recently did an experiment and optimized for a new keyword. 2 days later I was #1 at MSN and #3 at Yahoo.

"link exchange" might be impossible at Google, but I feel MSN and Yahoo could give me a better chance...

Geez.. I just have so many damn projects in my head! I am building 3 sites at the same time, adding content to another 10 sites... every time I turn around a new idea pops into my head... the day just isn't enough! It is 4:20 a.m. right now and I just can't stop typing... then I push myself to bed... turn off the lights... try to go to sleep... and 5 minutes later another idea pops into my head and I have to jump to the computer and start working again before I forget it.

No wonder my girlfriend dumped me :D

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  6. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    rofl Fryman. I'm exactly the same. The more you learn the more ideas you get.

I think the key factor in the success of each project is that you try and focus on 1 at a time. Once you start getting some success you can start employing people which will allow you to develope your ideas faster.

Weirfire, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The problem is the big time frame that a new site takes to start ranking...
    If I build a site, once I have finished it and get some backlinks for it, I need to wait several weeks for it to get completely indexed, and then to start ranking well. If I build 3 sites at the same time, in a few weeks I will have all 3 of them spidered and indexed.

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I think at this point we can pretty much assume that IBL's are no longer the key with G. While they play a part, it does not seem to be as huge as it used to be.

mopacfan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  9. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    What do you think is the key these days? Is it to be an old site? :)

Weirfire, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  10. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    Shall I retrive the gentlemens' gloves and pistols?

david_sakh, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  11. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Good ole on page practices. Which ones I do not know.

S

Smyrl, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  12. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    one of my sites used to be top 10 for link exchange

but it dropped the past update or so( along with a bunch of my sites)

google has basically dropped their drawers and took a big .....

on my head

anyways

you get the real quality link partners that way

its pretty funny actually

ferret77, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Wow, I continued this test just for fun... and I'm #5 at MSN :D

Should of checked overture first, since "link exchange" doesn't get many searches each month. Oh, well, it is nice to rank on a keyword with almost 22 million results...

Time to stop playing around with the engines and back to more serious stuff... ;)

fryman, Apr 11, 2005 IP