1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wow digg is so ***... my sites are all down

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by NewTier, Feb 19, 2008.

Before going to bed I had 5000 u/vs from digg.

now my sites are all down.

What should I do?

NewTier, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  2. btsx

btsx Peon

Best Answers:
    get a better server? i think that's your fault, not digg's

btsx, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  3. WhoJayBe

WhoJayBe Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, surprisingly, this happens to a lot of people. Look at it like it's a good thing... but yeah, you should probably get a better hosting server.

WhoJayBe, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  4. joffer

joffer Peon

Best Answers:
    or get a better code

joffer, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  5. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Haha I'm being sarcastic. :) It is a good thing. Did my host shut down my site? Because it's on a shared server and only that one is blocked.

NewTier, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  6. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    You probably exceeded bandwith or processor time. If its a CMS you could optimize the site by using fewer images or an addon that will cache pages. If its bandwith, you just need a better host.

korr, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  7. extremehardware

extremehardware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of things that could have happened to your hosting account, given that it's shared.

Your host could have limited your CPU usage, you may have reached your bandwidth limit, the connection's upload speed may not be sufficient, or your other vital server components (RAM, /tmp, etc) may be maxed out.

Depending on whether you are getting an error message, a timeout, or a connection error, you should be able to determine what the problem is. If it matters to you, file a support ticket or call your host for help. Any decent host should be willing to help you out in a situation like this (traffic slam) in a timely manner.

You should consider upgrading to a dedicated server or VPS in the future, so you don't have this problem again. Also, a dedicated server with root SSH or cPanel WHM accessibility allows you to access the advanced features of the server in times of need (as you can almost always connect to the server even if HTTP is down). Shutting down unnecessary services, enabling caching, and resetting the server altogether can all help reduce load and bring the sites back up, at least temporarily.

Good luck next time.

extremehardware, Feb 19, 2008 IP
    NewTier likes this.
  8. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow really good post. Thanks a lot. I might purchase a dedicated server soon.

NewTier, Feb 19, 2008 IP