1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP How to make "Read More" an image ??

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by zinghana, Oct 8, 2009.

Wondering if anyone could help me out here, i just started hacking up WP templates and this problem is starting to do my head in now lol...

I want that ugly "Read More" link to become a pretty image..

Any ideas where to start hacking for this one ? i have seen it done on some "free WP themes" but cannot for the love of me recall which ones they were, any help with this one is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

zinghana, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Go into the "main index template" of the WP site and search the code for "read the rest of this entry". You can simply remove that and replace it with the HTML for an image. Let me know if you get it to work.

Pixelrage, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  3. zinghana

zinghana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers mate, Thanks for that, i knew it was possible but i haven't hacked WP much of late, Again Thanks

zinghana, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  4. zinghana

Best Answers:
    I have to say.. i have checked your above answer and have not found anything in the main WP index.php file, i have searched my themes index.php file to find a few possibilities but upon editing these it made no change to the page as it still says "Read More"

Would love to hear from anyone else who has been able to achieve this, or even lend a helping hand.

Regards Darren

zinghana, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me check when I go home :) There are actually a few places where that text exists.

Pixelrage, Oct 9, 2009 IP
  6. coax

coax Peon

Best Answers:
    in main index theme template it should say "Read More" within single quotes, replace that.

coax, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  7. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the issue though... Search Engines do not read images. They will not search anything after your "read more" image unless you tag it properly. It would be like a stop word in a meta tag, they would stop at the image probably.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  8. iMarketingGuru

iMarketingGuru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do this but don't remove the read rest of this entry, just replace the text part with the img src and then have the link for read more go to where you want it to go normally but with an image showing. It WILL be in your index php template

iMarketingGuru, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  9. iMarketingGuru

iMarketingGuru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The search engines aren't really an issue with this -- just add your image for aesthetic person and use the img alt="" command in the img src="" alt="" section if you are worried about search engines. Most SEs can read images now as well but they like text over images

iMarketingGuru, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  10. zinghana

Best Answers:
    Cheers guys, i'll look into to it later tonight and update the thread once done. Thanks

zinghana, Oct 11, 2009 IP