1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yet another "which CMS" thread! whee...

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by PlainJain, Jul 14, 2007.

Okie dokie, I need something specific.

I'm looking for a CMS with an integrated forum where I can publish forum entries to the front page of the site if I choose to. I tried Drupal which is perfect for my needs BUT! I had too many bad experiences with Drupal and I'm looking for a different CMS now.

Any ideas?

PlainJain, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  2. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go with Joomla my friend, this is your way ...you can use fireboard or you can bridge SMF or Vbulletin on your Joomla powered site....if you have problems you can PM me..i have experience with this great CMS :)

maroon_cool, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  3. PlainJain

PlainJain Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds good... so with Joomla and SMF my users can post to the forum and I can port them to the main page if I want to?

I never heard of Fireboard before, is that a forum software of part of Joomla?

Thanks for the help... :)

PlainJain, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  4. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    maroon_cool, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  5. PlainJain

PlainJain Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've used SMF before... I'll probably go with that one... thanks again...

PlainJain, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    another vote goes to joomla.

there is full integrated joomla forum component (fireboard). it's the same of smf with the power of joomla

trichnosis, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  7. froggy

froggy Member

Best Answers:
    Fireboard looks nice. I was looking at Joomla and instaled it on one of my sites a few months ago but can't remember seeing fireboard before....was thinking of using the phpbb bridge for a phpbb forum (but delayed this due to new PHPBB Olympus coming up soon).

Fireboard looks like it may be a better and idea if totally integrated with Joomla though...does anyone know about its stability and what the admin/Moderator functions are like compared to phpbb?

froggy, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  8. ChrisX

ChrisX Guest

Best Answers:

Fireboard may be something great when it's done, but it's severely lacking in features right now. Load it up and you'll see what I mean.

I'm also not going to use it because it's another victim of the negative side of the Joomla community. The one bad thing I've noticed about the Joomla folks, whether they be part of the main Joomla project or Fireboard, and that's development is very political. They'd rather push garbage (like Community Builder) instead of working on things that people want. A good example with Fireboard is the "Primezilla" PM system. The guy who devs Primezilla is not very well liked. So, they've been avoiding integrating it with Fireboard. I was part of a thread in the Fireboard forum where people were telling them "we need this" and the first few posts were things like "there are no plans" blah blah, negative, blah. Well this guy popped up with a hack for it, which allowed us to use integration with another product for Primezilla provided we edited some php code. People loved it. Fireboard however has not implemented this yet, and still has no plans to.

On the other hand, they have integration for messaging systems like "JIM", which is total junk. In fact, except for "Clexus", they're all junk. Clexus looks and works well(costs $50), but it's a pig due to the IONCube loader you must run to get it to work. So the best option without a loader is Primezilla, but you have to write it in yourself if you want to use it.

That incident alone turned me off to Fireboard. My advice is use a vBulletin bridge. It's just the best forum out there.

~C

ChrisX, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  9. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Claudek, Jul 18, 2007 IP