1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YouTube restrict the audience because of music copyright

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by sarahk, Jan 25, 2015.

OK, here's an interesting situation that I'm not sure quite what the impact is.

I've recorded a few cheerleading routines - either at a comp or a practice and shared on YouTube so the kids can see them. I'm assuming only they, and some family members, will ever want to see these clips.

Sometimes, but not every time, YouTube has asked me to acknowledge the music that they perform to - a series of short segments from current hits with added sound effects. I'm happy to do that but the music isn't added by me and I don't know who all the artists are.

How do I ensure the kids won't be locked out of viewing their performances?

sarahk, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think the only way to avoid the issue is not to infringe on music copyright. You get several warnings but I am sure you'd reach a point where your YouTube account gets suspended.

dcristo, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hmm, probably. So if I went to a nightclub and recorded a friend dancing and uploaded it I'd need to give credit for the music being played by the nightclub?

sarahk, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I am not a lawyer but I know music copyright is no different to any other copyright. Giving credit doesn't give you permission to use it. Although I think it would depend on how it was being used. If you were just recording a friend at a nightclub I doubt that would land you in legal hot water. But if you were using it for commerical purposes, that's completely different.

dcristo, Jan 25, 2015 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I agree on the commercial thing.
    My initial question was for a clip of kids doing a routine - hell, they didn't even do the stunts - with music where there is no commercial intent, a limited audience and no song played for more than 15 seconds.

sarahk, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  6. Viktor Mauzer

Viktor Mauzer Member

Best Answers:
    This can be a problem very often. YouTube recognizes the music being played in the video and probably assumes that you could use it for commercial purposes. I'm not sure how to handle this, but there must be a way. Many people upload songs and even whole albums to YouTube. I'm interested in this too, so I'll look it up and if I find anything, I'll post it here.

Viktor Mauzer, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  7. mollie.fr

mollie.fr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now a days Youtube getting too strict on the copyright infringement. They even not allow little of music in else videos but there are certain ways you can avoid such things one of them making such video as private or unlisted. It might help a bit but not sure.

mollie.fr, Feb 6, 2015 IP